Nose Piercing: Right Or Left?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_yogagal_*

Guest_yogagal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:06 AM

OK, now I have an important question.... :angry:

when I was in Chennai I started thinking, hey, maybe I'll get my nose pierced... so I asked a woman if there is a significance to either side. She said one side meant Brahmin, the other side was everyone else. But now I can't remember which side is which..... :D

does anyone here know? does one side really mean Brahmin? or does it make a difference?

I'm seriously considering it, and the gal who re-did one of my tattoos today has a pierced right nostril, but she said she was told it was the "wrong" side. But she also said that an Indian woman told her that the right nostril was OK for a woman. I told her in India many women have both nostrils pierced, so it's gotta mean something!

ok, now stop laughing, y'all, it's really a serious question! :(
yeah, yeah, I know.....it's like a guy trying figure out which earlobe to get pierced... :D

thanks for your input!

Edited by yogagal, 20 May 2006 - 03:09 AM.

#2 sunil

sunil
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:43 AM

Hi Yogagal.

As far as I know,

The right of side of a human's body is considered sacred, and the left side?? Of course not. That's y all the vedic rituals are performed using the right hand only.

But what I have observed is that mostly the women have their left nostril pierced (In north India).
Kranti likh denge.

#3 larki

larki

Traveller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:52 AM

Yogagal
Hey I am with you! lets do it!!!!

#4 Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:I gab, read and sleep a lot.....

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:46 PM

hehehe...never heard of that theory! But seriously, I thought it was more about what looks better on you..I would recommend you to pierce the right side...it somehow looks better. And a ring looks better than a pin...but then you should try on everything on your face...that's what I did, I was as confused as you, if not more!

#5 john.sw

john.sw

Guru Member

• Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

The left nostril is the preferred position for the piercing as Ayurvedic medicine associates this location with the female reproductive organs. It is supposed to make childbirth easier.
www.nilgiris.asia your guide to the Nilgiris, Ooty, Coonoor, Kotagiri and Gudalur

#6 Guest_yogagal_*

Guest_yogagal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

The left nostril is the preferred position for the piercing as Ayurvedic medicine associates this location with the female reproductive organs. It is supposed to make childbirth easier.

uh, well, if I got pregnant it would be in Ripley's Believe It or Not.... :(

but seriously, thanks for your replies.

in traditional Chinese medicine, the left side of the body is considered YIN (feminine) and the right side of the body is considered YANG (masculine). if one is left-handed, then the polarities are reversed.

I decided on the left nostril..... :(

#7 anandi

anandi
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I spend about 3 months in India every winter hanging out in different places...doing yoga...shopping and being creative.

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:23 AM

from what I heard, the left side is preferable in North India... and the right side is pierced in South India.

#8 wanderer22

wanderer22
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:07 AM

Have noticed that many Bharata Natyam dancers wear jewelry in both nostrils, and the septum. Wonder if this has any meaning? Have also heard as others have mentioned that the left is the feminine side of the body. There is a famous Shiva statue at Elephanta near Mumbai that is female on the left side and male on the right.

W22

#9 larki

larki

Traveller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:07 AM

yogagal,
I am with you, left side it is ..... do I have time before I leave???? It souldn't take that long to heal.

Are you going to have a needle or gun? I hear the needle is the best (which is what I am doing) but it has a little more pain.

Edited by larki, 21 May 2006 - 11:10 AM.

#10 Yashodhara

Yashodhara

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Being with my loved ones, Literature, Philosophy, anything India related, Film (both Indian and non Indian) and last, but not least ... trying to figure out this somewhat miraculous journey called life. I like meeting people from everywhere, always interested in what people think in other parts of this one world. Exchanging minds is good!

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:54 PM

When I got mine, I was told to have the left nostril pierced. I had it made in Berlin though, but they claimed to have a connection to Indian ayurveda of some kind..., I was just 18 then :P . A gun was used which was rather unpainful, it felt like getting earrings. I had a red nose for about two days and have enjoyed my nose pin ever since.

Please report when you girls have finally had it done!
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
(S. R.)

#11 larki

larki

Traveller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

When I got mine, I was told to have the left nostril pierced. I had it made in Berlin though, but they claimed to have a connection to Indian ayurveda of some kind..., I was just 18 then :D . A gun was used which was rather unpainful, it felt like getting earrings. I had a red nose for about two days and have enjoyed my nose pin ever since.

Please report when you girls have finally had it done!

I was told the gun made a bigger whole and longer healing time, but yes, less pain :P

I might have to wait till I get back from India though ;)

#12 Guest_yogagal_*

Guest_yogagal_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:50 PM

I am sure they will use a gun where I go.

hey, anything that involves placing a piece a metal in my nostril, I will opt for very quick and relatively painless!

I was asking my tattoo artist about getting my nose pierced -- while she was re-doing a tattoo on my ankle -- and I told her "uh...I'm a little afraid of the pain" (with getting my nose pierced.) She stopped tattooing and looked at me with this "who are you kidding" look and said "and how many tattoos do you have....". so, yeah, it was a pretty funny picture: "I'm afraid of the pain in getting my nose pierced," she said, as she was getting tattooed..... :P

#13 larki

larki

Traveller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:06 AM

The local tattoo place uses a needle, the head shop uses the gun. I am confused. If I use the gun maybe I could have it done before I leave??

#14 paan wallah

paan wallah
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:35 AM

it s very easy to do it by yourself

just use some antiseptic stuff and a clean needle

maybe a couple of beers will help :9

that s the way I did it

#15 larki

larki

Traveller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:28 AM

that s the way I did it

A couple of Beers???? That is all :o I think I would need a lot more, if I was to do it by myself. And then I might miss my nose all together :P I am not brave like you. I will have to have it done for me.

#16 priya

priya

Discombobulated Elsewherean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

Yogagal, if you do get your nose pierced, please do it at home!!! Should you be unlucky enough to get an infection, you're in the right place to have it sorted out. I had the gun method and a "trainer" inserted initially. After a month - six weeks I removed my trainer and used my stud, in the 'left' nostril.

I also noticed in different parts of India, different nostrils were pieced and yes, in the north, it was the left-hand side.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck.
'Their people will judge them on what they can build and not what they destroy.
To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent,
know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are
willing to unclench your fist." ~ Barack Obama.

Zimbabwe News!

City of Kings! Photos.

Our Shame.

#17 Freenote

Freenote
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

that s the way I did it

There is a refinement to the above method .A frozen potato chip (uncooked) placed in the nostril , kills some of the pain (if any) and provides a hard surface to push the needle into. This method has been used many times the world over, and it works :huh:

#18 Yashodhara

Yashodhara

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Being with my loved ones, Literature, Philosophy, anything India related, Film (both Indian and non Indian) and last, but not least ... trying to figure out this somewhat miraculous journey called life. I like meeting people from everywhere, always interested in what people think in other parts of this one world. Exchanging minds is good!

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

Honestly if you are not accustomed by the method(s) of nose piercing, I would never never never do this myself. It might work for others, but it seems way too dangerous to me. You might object that you never know if the person doing the piercing really knows their job, but if I see them doing it once they still know 100% more about piercing than I do.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
(S. R.)

#19 karuna

karuna
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

Long time ago now...got my nose pierced when I was 18. They used a gun. It's a shock, sudden pain but it fades quickly. Your eyes will run!

I have had other piercings done with a needle and it's generally a nicer experience provided the piercer is good and helps you to control your pain (like breathing exercises etc).

I have pierced my own ears before but I'm not sure I'd recommend piercing your own nose. It's tougher and would be easier to mis-align the hole.

If you're going to wear studs rather than hoops I'd recommend the ones that have an "L" shaped pin to help them stay in (rather than the straight types used in the ear lobes). I used to find that the stud would come out at night and my nose would begin to heal over.

#20 Yashodhara

Yashodhara

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:04 PM

I used to find that the stud would come out at night and my nose would begin to heal over.

Studs have fasteners, and it feels alright using them. It never causes any pain to my nose, and there's no worrying about healing over.
(S. R.)