• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 YETI

YETI

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

I've just had a great week in the Parvati Valley - a truly stunning part of the world if ever there was one. Distant snowy peaks, beautiful rivers, flowers everywhere, certain 'other vegetation' that may appeal to some, the list goes on and on ...

I know it's a bit of a traveller's cliché to say somewhere's 'like such-and-such was in the 70's' but there really are little villages here that must resemble the Manali that lured the first hippy-trailers all those years ago. And you don't have to get off the beaten track that much to find them. It's been quite surprising for me -I was expecting the sort of 'development' you get in Manali.

I've avoided the main touristy bits and aimed for the little villages - Matheura (just above Jari) is a particularly beautiful place and Pulga and Tulga at the far East of the valley were both fantastic.

I'm not at a decent computer at the moment, but when I get back to Manali I'll post a few pictures.

What a place - I can't believe I've never made it here before.

#2 jyotirmoy

jyotirmoy

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

Would you trek to Kheer Ganga? Weather permiting it is a great trek & absolutely stunning views.

#3 kullukid

kullukid

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

I've avoided the main touristy bits and aimed for the little villages - Matheura (just above Jari) is a particularly beautiful place and Pulga and Tulga at the far East of the valley were both fantastic.

I'm not at a decent computer at the moment, but when I get back to Manali I'll post a few pictures.

Better late than never DO-TI!
I first visited Pulga 10yrs ago before the road was built, we trekked from Manikaran,it was wonderful, totally unspoilt. I was devastated when i went back 4yrs ago & saw the new road & the mountains been blown -up for the Hydro-dam project, still loved the place though! Magical!!!
Here's some pic's to be going on with. :crying: Bom Bholenath! KK

http://picasaweb.goo...key=-kpk1Oi9jfQ

#4 cyberhippie

cyberhippie

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

I really have to get up there, four months seems so short to fit everything in we want to do!

#5 noflylist

noflylist

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:kiting, golfing

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

I had visited Manikaran in 2000. There are two Manikarans. There is spiritual Hindu sikh Manikaran! On the other hand I saw bunch old and new age hippies smoking Hash and peddling openly - may be that was spiritual too! So maybe there is only one Manikaran.
Cricket Anyone!

#6 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Traveller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

I first visited Pulga 10yrs ago before the road was built, we trekked from Manikaran,it was wonderful, totally unspoilt.

I visited the valley as they started buliding the new road. We used to watch the road guys blowing the rocks out of the way.

It was fascinating - the guys would spend all morning drilling holes on the rock, then fill each one with a stick of dynamite - light the fuses and run like hell!

The rock from the resulting explosions would fly to the other side of the valley. Quite a sight!

Edited by ChrisJ, 31 August 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#7 priya

priya

Discombobulated Elsewherean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

I have to confess I've never seen 'other vegetation' in tree proportion. :lol: Very impressive, I must admit. It certainly does seem to be an idyllic spot.
'Their people will judge them on what they can build and not what they destroy.
To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent,
know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are
willing to unclench your fist." ~ Barack Obama.

Zimbabwe News!

City of Kings! Photos.

Our Shame.

#8 Somerset

Somerset

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:India-related interests include Chola-period bronzes, Satyajit Ray, classical dance, temples, and environmental quality. <br /><br />And fish curry. Red hot fish curry that will blow a hole in your head.

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:09 PM

Better late than never DO-TI!
I first visited Pulga 10yrs ago before the road was built, we trekked from Manikaran,it was wonderful, totally unspoilt. I was devastated when i went back 4yrs ago & saw the new road & the mountains been blown -up for the Hydro-dam project, still loved the place though! Magical!!!
Here's some pic's to be going on with. :lol: Bom Bholenath! KK

http://picasaweb.goo...key=-kpk1Oi9jfQ

Looks like another world...similar to your pics of Malana, but friendlier? Were these prior to construction of the road? Don't see many vehicles (maybe the corner of a jeep in one pic).

Edited by Somerset, 31 August 2007 - 10:10 PM.

"The sea is dangerous and its storms terrible, but these obstacles have never been sufficient reason to remain ashore." Ferdinand Magellan

#9 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Traveller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:05 AM

I think I have mentioned in another thread before the shock of seeing the changes in the Parvati valley with regard to some western tourists.

I first spent some time in Kasol about 15 years ago in the guesthouse by the suspension bridge. A lovely little village.

I returned about 5 years after to see a much much bigger guesthouse. Nothing wrong with that at all. I have nothing against tourism and progress - but what really upset me was the attitude of the westerners there.

They were very much into "the scene" and didn't seem to give a damn about anything else. The Parvati valley is the one place in India where a local resident has said to me they don't like westerners and wished they would not come. So sad in many ways - and I felt awful when the guy said that to me. But hey - I wasn't born yesterday and I know these things happen...

But as Yeti said - at least the scenery hasen't changed. Still lovely.

And it's great we have KK as ambassador to the area with his fab photos!

#10 kullukid

kullukid

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

Looks like another world...similar to your pics of Malana, but friendlier? Were these prior to construction of the road? Don't see many vehicles (maybe the corner of a jeep in one pic).

No! these photo's were taken in the last 2yrs & are mainly of Manikaran & a few in Kashol, when i first went the road ended at Manikaran & from there a goat track followed the river to Pulga/Khir Ganga etc.
The goat track is now a road to Bershani/Kalga which was built to gain access for the building of the Hydro- Dam project. When i stayed in Kalga about 3yrs ago i was awoken around 6am each day to the sound of dynamite blasts that were so loud they shook the guesthouse & the hills.
I'll add some more photo's when i get time, i have some wonderful photo's of the trek to Pulga 10yrs ago but unfortunately they are from my pre-digital days!! :indiaflag: KK

#11 rishabh6296

rishabh6296
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:11 AM

Excellent pics KK.

#12 highland

highland
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:37 AM

I had a opportunity to traveled along the river Parvati starting from Manali, then via Bhunter in Kullu district years back. Found huge Shikhs pilgrimages visits the Kalanta Peeth i.e Manikaran. In the side of Parvati valley it is holy place for Hindus and Shikhs. Jai Shiva-Parvati

#13 kullukid

kullukid

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

Hi High, Great blog! Welcome to The Tree. :indiaflag: KK