john.sw

Guru Member

• Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

I was following Jyotirmoy's recipe for Masoor Dal

http://www.gourmetin...p...DE=03&id=84

and I wondered what the different Dals are.

We can't find Masoor Dal here, so I used a greasy yellow dal (I can't remember what it is called as I finished the packet and threw it away!

Sitting in the larder right now are:
  • Dhaniya Dall Yellow
  • Mung Dall Chilka
  • Urid Dal
  • Char Magaz
Any suggestions what I should make with them? :)
www.nilgiris.asia your guide to the Nilgiris, Ooty, Coonoor, Kotagiri and Gudalur

#2 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Interests:India, Tibet & the Tibetan cultural world, reading, gardening, rowing, my little dog

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

I have some urid dal, too, which I bought just because I liked the way it looked. :) I'd love to have a recipe for what to do with it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

#3 Luckywoman

Luckywoman

Frequent Flyer

• Blogger
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Well, these are a lot, too many to mention all.I love reading, gardening, surfing the internet.I love my family and my job.And I love India.

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:32 PM

I hate dal ;)
In Holland we eat peas as whole, for vegetables, and I like that.
Also we make a delicious soup from peas, called "erwtensoep" or "snert" (I like that too)
Guess I'm a picky eater, we say: "a farmer doesn't eat what he doesn't know"
Dal could never charm me, maybe it's because I can never identify the ingredients, or it looks to me as if it's been eaten before :)
Here is a recipe for snert. Try it and maybe you'll like it as much as I do ;)
Imagination is more important than knowledge...

Albert Einstein

#4 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Interests:India, Tibet & the Tibetan cultural world, reading, gardening, rowing, my little dog

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:10 AM

Luckywoman, I think you and malkers must have been "separated at birth" because he's no dal fan either. "Snert" looks good, but that name! :D To an Enghlish-speaker, it sounds funny!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

#5 john.sw

john.sw

Guru Member

• Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

Jyotirmoy's recipe is a great success!

OK, I didn't have any green chilli, so I used red instead, and I added more tomato than the recipe said because I would have had a few left over, but it is really delicious.

I froze what was left over and when it was defrosted and heated in a microwave oven it was just as good as when it was fresh!

Have you seen how may people have looked at those recipes? It's really taking off, but as always, needs more recipes and more photos to illustrate them!
www.nilgiris.asia your guide to the Nilgiris, Ooty, Coonoor, Kotagiri and Gudalur

#6 WonderWomanUSA

WonderWomanUSA

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:33 AM

I ate so much erwtensoep when I lived in Holland that I can't stand to look at it again. Maybe in another ten years I'll use your snert recipe, Luckywoman!
"Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

#7 Hippie at Heart

Hippie at Heart

Frequent Flyer

• Blogger
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:55 AM

John, have a look here, maybe this will help you identify which one have used.

http://www.mayabazaa...183151220.14638
http://www.toordal.c...y_feast.htm#mun
http://indianfood.ab...aals/masoor.htm

just a trivia about red kidney beans, beans from Kinnaur in Himachal Pradesh have phenomenal length and girth when cooked and pack more taste then their more popular cousins of J & K
Hippie is a State of Mind; not a cult of Bounders.

#8 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:02 AM

Where is SHIMLA when we need him? This is right up his alley.

#9 WonderWomanUSA

WonderWomanUSA

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

Where is SHIMLA when we need him? This is right up his alley.

Sad to say that Shimla is still unavailable, but I will relay the message to him and hope he will be able to be with us soon.
"Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

#10 jyotirmoy

jyotirmoy

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:11 AM

I am happy to know that you liked the dal John.
Urid should be Urad. This dal takes long time to cook. So soak it in water overnight before cooking.

Here is how we make Urad dal:
To make Urad dal you need
1.Dried whole red chilly, 2
2.Ginger paste, 1 tsp.
3.Ground Fennel seeds, ½ tsp.
4.Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
5.Turmeric ½ tsp.
6.Pinch of sugar
7.Salt to taste.
8.Mustard oil 3 tbsps.

Soak the dal (150 Gms) overnight. Pressure cook the dal with water and turmeric. Heat oil in a pan. When hot add the red chillies, then the ginger paste. Saute lightly and add the Asafoetida & ground Fennel seeds. Pour in the boiled dal. Add salt & sugar. Simmer on low heat stirring frequently. Keep on simmering for about 15 minutes.
Serve with rice.
We normally eat this dal bhat with potato poppy seed subzi.

#11 iwanttogoback

iwanttogoback

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

what have i been saying about jyoti's masoor dal recipe? (smacks palm on forehead...)

i make it with red lentils (not sure what kind of dal that is) and it is always wonderful. i have lived off it for days on end...

luckywoman, the snert looks like the pea and ham soup my mother used to make, but with the additon of bratwurst. i love pea and ham soup, real comfort food.

although, i can just imagine serving it to a table of children "darlings, how about a big bowl of snert for dinner?" :D (sorry, but it really is a funny sounding word to english speakers.)
just is.

#12 jyotirmoy

jyotirmoy

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

Iwttgb your red lentil is Masoor Dal indeed !!!!

#13 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:44 PM

although, i can just imagine serving it to a table of children "darlings, how about a big bowl of snert for dinner?" :indiaflag: (sorry, but it really is a funny sounding word to english speakers.)

The dish would be very popular with seven-year-old boys.

#14 jyotirmoy

jyotirmoy

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hope some die hard Indian dal addict & puritans wont shout at me... the chilka moogh(unhusked moogh daal) can be cooked with saussages in white wine and if you add fatty duck legs to that....simmer for an hour.... I have soiled the key board...

#15 Ray kelleher

Ray kelleher

Frequent Flyer

• Blogger
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Location:At the moment stuck in England slaveing away in hot bakery
  • Interests:Travel, Music, photography, The drinking of good Red wine, beers and Whiskys with new & old friends...Have done three trips to India and one to Thailand & Cambodia...Looking forward to going back to India late this year/early next year

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

Luckywoman... I suppose you also find Hutspot comfort food too, I used to love it.......
Travel lightly......

#16 noflylist

noflylist

• Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:kiting, golfing

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

Different ways to spell, Dal, Daal, and my favorite on net Dahl or Dhal!

...but, it is the best soup in the world.

Edited by noflylist, 01 July 2007 - 03:52 AM.

Cricket Anyone!

#17 jyotirmoy

jyotirmoy

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

Different ways to spell, Dal, Daal, and my favorite on net Dahl or Dhal!

...but, it is the best soup in the world.

Hot aromatic Rasam and a crisp pappad on a winter evening.... did you say soup?

#18 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

Hope some die hard Indian dal addict & puritans wont shout at me... the chilka moogh(unhusked moogh daal) can be cooked with saussages in white wine and if you add fatty duck legs to that....simmer for an hour.... I have soiled the key board...

Indian cassoulet!

#19 jyotirmoy

jyotirmoy

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

Indian cassoulet!

Actually the idea is purloined from French country cuisine around the Bordeaux region. They use a similar lentil, couldn’t gather much from the cook because of language barrier.
I tried out with Chilka Moogh and it worked well. Another significant deviation is that the cook in the original stuff used 2 bottles of fine white wine from the region…. Sigh..

#20 cyberhippie

cyberhippie

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

Luckywoman... I suppose you also find Hutspot comfort food too, I used to love it.......

Now available in Orchha, it was there on the collective menu at the suggestion of some Dutchie no doubt. I taught them how they should actually cook it!