Ahmedabad - Lothal Train Timings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sleeper

sleeper
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

Can somebody give me the train timings from Ahmedabad to Bhurkhi. Googling is not helping at all.

#2 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Interests:India, Tibet & the Tibetan cultural world, reading, gardening, rowing, my little dog

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

You might try looking on the Indian Rail website at http://www.indianrail.gov.in/

This site can be frustrating if you are traveling to/from/between stations that aren'e considered "major" because it can be hard to figure out which line or train you need to search if you don't already know the name or number of the train. If you try to search the "Trains Between Important Stations" link on the site, you'll find Ahmedhabad but not Burkhi - and not even Bhavanagar, which, I think, the ultimate destination station for the line that Burkhi is on. :D So this doesn't answer your question, but if you poke around on the site you may ultimately find what you need. By the way, the station codes for Ahmedabad and Burkhi are ADI and BVP, which may come in handy for your search.

The distance you're planning to travel is so short, and involves both a train and a bus, that I'd be tempted to hire a car and driver.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

#3 cyberhippie

cyberhippie

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

I think the problem may be that there are no expresses running on this route, therefor the train won't be listed at the India Rail Website.

I tried all sorts of permutations but came up with nothing, sorry!!

#4 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Interests:India, Tibet & the Tibetan cultural world, reading, gardening, rowing, my little dog

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

The website doesn't just list expresses, but, in any event, I couldn't figure out how the train would be listed either. Not much help, am I? :D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

#5 sleeper

sleeper
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

Talking to Gujrat tourism people at Ahmedabad is hopeless. Only clue they have is that there are very few trains on this route. Some info is available on
this

But I am not able to confirm it as the info may be old. Even the Ahmedabad Railway station phone number ,131, is not accesable by attaching STD code (079) and no other number of Ahmedabad railstation is available.

BVP is station code for Bhavanagar. Station code for Burkhi is not available on IR site.

I wonder as to why can,t the IR site be made more comprehensive.Another Government Department at work.............

Edited by sleeper, 04 November 2006 - 12:01 PM.

#6 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:17 PM

[quote name='sleeper' post='16661' date='Nov 3 2006, 10:22 PM']BVP is station code for Bhavanagar. Station code for Burkhi is not available on IR site.[/quote]
Oops! you're right. But Burkhi's on the line that goes to Bhavanagar.

[quote name='sleeper' post='16661' date='Nov 3 2006, 10:22 PM']I wonder as to why can,t the IR site be made more comprehensive.Another Government Department at work.............[/quote]
I had the same reaction. I wish they had some way you could enter a town/station name (in addition to the "important stations") and get a list of all the trains (names and numbers) that pass through it. Then you could look up the schedule for each train to see if it also passes through the other station you want to either get to or leave from.

It would be even better just to be able to enter both stations and find all the trains connecting them, but that might get impossibly complicated, especially for towns far distant from one another, because there might be too many alternative routes or changes from one rail line to another. Oh, well.

I wouldn't think the first alternative would require a difficult sorting function, so I don't know why they can't do it on the website.

Love this quote from the article you linked: "The transport system contributes to make Lothal almost inaccessible even today." Apparently so. Based on that article, the train also sounds very s-l-o-w.

#7 cyberhippie

cyberhippie

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:37 PM

Dzibead
There is a way to enter both city of departure and arrival!! That's always how I search for trains!! Just click on the"train fare accommodation" button at the top of the page and you will be taken to a page which ask for both ente the names select all classes and your all set, actually you only have to supply the first three letters of the place name the form will then show you all the possibilities on the three letters you supplied, simply select the town you need and it will list trains connecting the two!!

The site ONLY lists important trains like expresses/mails (very few passenger trains) which is understandable as there are something like 22000 trains running a day!!

All in all the Indian Railways site is very good considering the traffic it receives!!

#8 dzibead

dzibead

Senior Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

Dzibead
There is a way to enter both city of departure and arrival!! That's always how I search for trains!! Just click on the"train fare accommodation" button at the top of the page and you will be taken to a page which ask for both ente the names select all classes and your all set, actually you only have to supply the first three letters of the place name the form will then show you all the possibilities on the three letters you supplied, simply select the town you need and it will list trains connecting the two!!

The site ONLY lists important trains like expresses/mails (very few passenger trains) which is understandable as there are something like 22000 trains running a day!!

All in all the Indian Railways site is very good considering the traffic it receives!!

Ooo, this is great. Even if the option lists only the major trains, that's something. I was always frustrated by the limitation of the "Trains Between Important Stations" button because you couldn't search by minor stations along the route.

And now I see (by drilling down through various menus) that you can get the trains that go through a given station on the "Passing Through Trains" link at http://www.trainenqu...oughTrains.aspx
I'm not sure if they list every station, though. In any event, I think it would be helpful if this were on the home page!

#9 sleeper

sleeper
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:02 PM

[The site ONLY lists important trains like expresses/mails (very few passenger trains) which is understandable as there are something like 22000 trains running a day!!
]
In fact IR site provides information about trains which have some reserved accommodation (may be seating or sleeping). No info is available about trains whih have no reserved accommodation. Most of the short distance passenger trains fall in this category. Here the southern railway website is far better as it provides info about all the trains including unreserved passenger trains and also Chennai locals. They even have clickable map. You can use their disscussion forum to get more information in case it is required. All most all other regional railway website are useless,, more of a formality than of any utility. Some info of local trains is available on Konkan railway website(covering Goa and sorroundings)

#10 sleeper

sleeper
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

Here is text of the reply recieved from Gujarat tourism. I appreciate their promptness as I had send my query today morning itself :)

Dear Sir,
the Ahmedabad Botad Passenger train leavingat 8:00 am stops at Lothal
Burkhi at 9:30 am. We do not have the return timings.
Thanking you
Gujarat Tourism
Ahmedabad

#11 sleeper

sleeper
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

Just spoke to people at Botad railwaystation. The Lothal burkhi train is presently suspended from Ahmedabad rail station and is presently originating from Gandhigram in Ahmedabad. The timings are 7.35, 8.35 in the morning and return trains are at6.14, 18.31. The time taken is 3.5 hrs one way. Station code fo bhurkhi is LHBK and Gandhigram is GG.

Editing this post to share some search tips which others may find useful particulraly when searching for local trains without reservation (As I just discovered).

Here is another (complicated) way to use IR site.
1. Click on the train enquiry on top
2. Click on the Train timetable in the new window which opens
3. Type the train name if you know otherwise use trial and error method by typing the name or code of the originating/terminating train station.
4. The list of all train starting with that name is displayed. Click further to know the train route. You may(or may not) get required info.

For example when I typed botad all the trains starting with name botad were displayed. Almost all the trains passed through lothal bhurkhl and was lucky enough to get the info.

Cheers

Edited by sleeper, 04 November 2006 - 05:54 PM.

#12 sleeper

sleeper
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

One more tip

1. Click on the train enquiry on top
2. Click on the Find your train
3. Following text is displayed

Source Station - your destination
below
If your station does not exist in the above list Click Here

Follow the links. You can Use the station codes also.

And ...yes.....I found all the train info BOTH LOCAL and EXPRESS:) :) ;) ;)

Finally This has made me happy. I take back some of my criticism of IR site. And Yes.... the IR site does provide info on local trains but in a complicated(atleast for me) way.
All the info on trains between Ahmedabad(ADI) and Lothal bhurkhal (LHBK) is there.

Edited by sleeper, 04 November 2006 - 06:49 PM.