Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Indranil

What To Take For Tour To Up & Uttarancha In October

Indranil    0

Hi,

I have planned to visit Agra and part of Uttaranchal in the month of October this year. I like to know what types of materials we must carry with us. We will be 4 adult persons (2 males (age 64 & 32) and 2 females (50 & 23)).

Please help me out about, what type of garments, instrument, articles, etc. we should take with us. How many luggages are optimum for 4 adult persons. I am giving below our full itinerary of the tour for your reference:

01/10/2008 -- Howrah -> New Delhi -> Agra Cantt. (Night stay on 02/10/2008)

03/10/2008 -- Agra -> Mathura -> Vrindavan -> Agra (Night Stay)

04/10/2008 -- Agra local sight seeing and night stay at Agra

05/10/2008 -- Agra Cantt. -> Haridwar (Night stay on 05/10/2008)

06/10/2008 -- Haridwar -> Hrishikesh -> Kankhal -> Haridwar (Night stay)

07/10/2008 -- Haridwar (at 5 am) -> Gaurikund (at 5 pm) night stay

08/10/2008 -- Gaurikund (at 5 am) -> 14 km trek -> Kedarnath (night stay)

09/10/2008 -- Kedarnath (at 7 am) -> 14 km trek -> Gaurikund (leave at 1 pm) -> Gopeshwar (night stay)

10/10/2008 -- Gopeshwar (at 6 am) -> Badrinath (leave at 2 pm) -> Birahi (night stay)

11/10/2008 -- Birahi (at 7 am) -> Haridwar (night stay)

12/10/2008 -- Haridwar (at 6 am) -> New Delhi

12/10/2008 -- New Delhi (at 5 pm) -> Howrah

Please give response.

Regards,

Indranil

kullukid    0

October is quite late to be visiting Gauri-Kedar-Badri so take some waterproof clothing & plenty of warm clothing, it's verrreeeee cold in Kedarnath at this time so decent quality sleeping bags might be a good idea too.KK

Indranil    0

Hi,

Can I rent sleeping bags at Kedarnath? Or, I need to buy it ?

Indranil

October is quite late to be visiting Gauri-Kedar-Badri so take some waterproof clothing & plenty of warm clothing, it's verrreeeee cold in Kedarnath at this time so decent quality sleeping bags might be a good idea too.KK

kullukid    0

Hi,

Can I rent sleeping bags at Kedarnath? Or, I need to buy it ?

Indranil

I don't think so there are not many facilities there,remember it's a 14km trek for the locals to take things up there.

I may be wrong it was 11yrs ago when I was there. The verreee basic GH's have quilts,but even with two quilts & leaving all your clothes on you will still be extremely cold. I'm not trying to put you off Indranil,it's the experience of a lifetime,just go prepared warm clothes wise. Om Namah Shivaya! KK

I usually take "long underwear" made of silk if I'm going to the mountains -- or even for Delhi in January. A layer of silk under other clothing helps a great deal -- especially for sleeping.

when I travel in winter here at home I take a hot water bottle to warm up the bed, and keep my toes warm all night. if they are cold, I can't sleep. :D

would something like that be a) available and if so :yes: a useful thing to take?

jyotirmoy    30

KK is right, it will be very cold in Kedarnath.

I suggest taking Woolycot vests and drawers. These are easily available in Kolkata. Woolens and jackets recommended. Carry woolen socks and gloves. Monkey caps for the aged are also recommended.

As wwusa suggests multiple layers help more than single heavy woolen.

What mode of transport will you be using? If you are hiring a car then carrying luggage won't be a problem.

The mountain air is clean & provides very little attenuation to sun rays, carry some sun screen ointment and apply it on your face to prevent sun burn. In October very little chance of rain. You will get blue sky and ample sun shine.

If you are carrying cameras ensure that the batteries are in prime condition. Very cold weather adversely affect the batteries.

Carry high calorie munchies like dry fruits and chocolates.

Good luck.

Indranil    0

Hi,

Thank you all for your valuable advice.

Regards,

Indranil

KK is right, it will be very cold in Kedarnath.

I suggest taking Woolycot vests and drawers. These are easily available in Kolkata. Woolens and jackets recommended. Carry woolen socks and gloves. Monkey caps for the aged are also recommended.

As wwusa suggests multiple layers help more than single heavy woolen.

What mode of transport will you be using? If you are hiring a car then carrying luggage won't be a problem.

The mountain air is clean & provides very little attenuation to sun rays, carry some sun screen ointment and apply it on your face to prevent sun burn. In October very little chance of rain. You will get blue sky and ample sun shine.

If you are carrying cameras ensure that the batteries are in prime condition. Very cold weather adversely affect the batteries.

Carry high calorie munchies like dry fruits and chocolates.

Good luck.

On 8/5/2008 at 9:50 PM, WonderWomanUSA said:

I usually take "long underwear" made of silk if I'm going to the mountains -- or even for Delhi in January. A layer of silk under other clothing helps a great deal -- especially for sleeping.

I love this, next time when I going to the mountains, I remember to wear the silky long underwear. :) I have purchased from this site: https://www.azanisport.com/collections/underwears