Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Conor M

Burma Cyclone

It seems this hasn't been posted yet, so here we go....

Aid arriving in cyclone-hit Burma

Is Shimla still a member here? Anyone know is he ok?

This tragedy seems comparable to the Kashmir Earthquake of 2005, terrible stuff.....

Yes, SmeT, Shimla is still a member here - but he left Burma some time ago - so I feel sure he will be safe and well.

It is yet another horrifc tragedy, isn't it? However, I hear on my radio this evening that the government there have now started letting in forewign aid, which may help alleviate the situation somewhat, thank goodness.

Guest priya

This catastrophe is going to take months, and so true when it's been likened to the tsunami of 2004. After all these people have been through, and now this!!! :( Seeing the devastation on tv is heart-wrenching.

Is Shimla still a member here? Anyone know is he ok?

Shimla is just fine; has been back in India for a couple of months -- somewhere near Mumbai.

WWUSA this is a nice little silver lining in an appallingly dark cloud. Thanks for passing on the news!

I am buried in detail for the forthcoming trip to the land of Confucius - just picked up my visa and had to make bookings with hotels for every night before it would be issued.

Hello all !

Just dropped in to confirm what wwusa has said. I left Myanmar in Dec. '07 and am back in India. Currently in Mumbai, working with a reputed consumer durables organisation.

Glad to be out of Myanmar, though my heart goes out to the people there. May the Lord knock some good sense into the power hungry ruling junta!

Thanks to all of you, for your concern.

good to know you're out of there....

Been following some news which are of the paranoia kind.

Nutty but standard American fare.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8...00.html?cnn=yes

A bit insane

http://www.moonofalabama.org/2008/05/false-intervent.html

Deep conspiracy

http://chinamatters.blogspot.com/2008/05/fools-rush-in.html

Right now, apart from the horrific death toll, the only news I could figure out was, India's aid has reached.

And Burma is the colonial name of it's slave times during the Raj era and Myanmar is the correct one.

According to the news a few minutes ago, the Generals have begun allowing the UN aid packages to be distributed, but have plastered them with the name of the gevernment.

Ah, yes, they are having elections ...