Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
HowieUK

12 Hours In Mumbai

Hi All.

I arrive on the overnight train from Goa to Mumbai at about 06.00 hrs and have 12 hours until I have to take a taxi to the Airport on 18th March heading back to the UK,(are there pre-paid taxis at the train station?)

Got a feeling I will be fairly tired so don't really want a whistle stop tour of the city.

Last time I visited was 1986 so guess I can expect a slight change?

Any ideas of spending a fairly quiet day in a vast city?

Guess there is somewhere to leave my luggage at 'VT'?

A friend suggested going straight to a hotel near the airport and relaxing for the day, but this seems unjustly expensive as I will not be staying overnight.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Howie

perhaps a few hours in a library or art gallery, followed by coffee/beer at a good café?

VT terminus is worth at least half an hour just to look at, and more if you can afford it. it is, to my mind, how railway stations SHOULD be. :D

Hi Howie giving your Dilli a miss?

Put your luggage at the cloak room at VT station. Have a leisurely breakfast at the cafeteria in the station. Go over to Gateway of India and take a boat to Elephanta caves. Don't forget to carry a bottle of drinking water. After visiting the caves return to the pier and walk to Leopold's café. Spend time at this café drinking chilled beer and have lunch.

Visit the aquarium in the afternoon. Sit on the sea wall on the marine drive and watch the sunset. Return to Leopold's. Then move to Mahesh lunch home for your dinner. Collect your luggage and take a train to Vile Parle or Santa cruz. Take an auto from the station to the airport.

What did you do with your bike?

G'day Howie,

I agree with Leopold's, it's a good location for people watching and a couple of cold ones. The nearby Taj Hotel has a couple of nice bars with views of the Gateway.......... it's a tad expensive ( everywhere is after Goa)but ok if your just sipping.

I spent half an hour or so at the Gandhi Museum a few years back as part of a whirlwind tour and wish I'd spent longer there.

Leith

Thanks all,

suggestions sound good!

Only worry is getting a taxi from 'VT' to international airport if I'm stuck in the centre of the city and leaving et 18.00hrs from the station (major conjestion?}

Bike has been sold! Will report more fully on 'Two Wheels' in a day or so.

Any more advice welcome!

Edited by HowieUK

I would suggest booking into a small hotel in Mumbai for the day ..... tath way you will be able to leave your luggage in safety, sleep if you want to, shower, eat and just hang out .... or wander outside to just people watch.

You say you think you will be fairly tired ... and you will have a long flight ahead of you .... you wouldn't consider iot a waste of money to book in to a hotel for 12 hours if it was dark - so why not make your stay as comfortable as possible and do so during the day?????

Second Judi's suggestion, get yourself comfortable in a cheap hotel (The Carlton just behind the Taj is a good alternative to Bentley's with similar prices if you haggle) otherwise you'll be on the go for 36 hours which will make for a bumpy landing in good ole UK

Where are you until the 18th Howie, I'm heading down to Goa on the 7-8th of March I could just as easy get off at Pernem and take a look at North Goa!!

Another thought that crossed my mind and perhaps our good friend noflylist can help in this, if your train passes through on of the outlying stations around Mumbai you might get a bed for a better price than in Central Mumbai. Kalyan Junction for instance if you've no need of the big city lights then this might be an option for you Howie. Cheap bed/food and a realistic taxi price to the airport.

Of course I'm guessing on this but perhaps others can add substance to that.

Great suggesstions friends.

I'm staying in 'Gods Gift' in Arambol until abouy 17.00hrs on the 16th of March (although will not stay there again -another story!). Would be nice to meet up with any members until then.

Good idea 'cheapish' hotel in centre of Mumbai for the day- may consider it

Howie

Technicalities first, VT is no longer VT. Last 20 years it has been renamed CST!

perhaps a few hours in a library or art gallery, followed by coffee/beer at a good café?

VT terminus is worth at least half an hour just to look at, and more if you can afford it. it is, to my mind, how railway stations SHOULD be. :D

Agree, Jehangir Art Gallery in Fort (Fort is renamed Hutatma Chowk?) area is recommended, it has a fine café where artsy types hang out but there was some talk of closing it! (Hope not). Gateway of India (If you have seen other caves in India, I would not recommend Elephanta caves), crawford market for last minute bargains to take home, taxi to Mahesh Lunch home, back to historic district walk and early drinks at Leopolds!

Edited by !Noflylist

Yes, I was aware 'VT' was now 'CST' but read in latest guide it was still refered by many as 'VT' or'WEE TEE' as they put it!

I know guides are not always acuurate, so apologies for any offence.

Thanks for all your kind ideas on what to do. One question not answered though is will I get from CST to the International airport if I set out from the station at 18.00hrs with the need to arrive at airport at 20.00 hrs, also is there a pre-paid taxi area at the train station if not what should the rough price be to the airport?

THanks all

Howie

Technicalities first, VT is no longer VT. Last 20 years it has been renamed CST!