Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
digital drifter

That's Not Good Form

Did you know

1. it's considered inauspicious to ask where you are going when someone is stepping out of the house?

2. Seeing a single brahmin when you start from your house is also considered bad luck.

3. Sewing on the doorstep is considered bad form.

4. Sneezing when something good is happening, some one is stepping out, the person will have to sit for a few minutes before going out. In general sneezing when a nice event is about to happen is in auspicous.

5. The hooting of owls is considered bad luck

6. When you visit someone for death and bereavement condolences, you're not supposed to say "see you" in that instance. As it indicates that you'd come again at the next death.

7. if your healthy infant falls ill after you take him for a function like marriage, betrothal etc., it's the "evil eye" on him

"Superstitions that can put the Irish to shame!"

Maybe not too surprising. The law system of ancient Ireland, called the Brehon Laws, derives from Sanskrit, and some scholars think there's a connection between ancient Celtic culture and Vedic culture, going back to common Indo-European roots:

http://dedanaan.com/vedic-origins-children...-druid-cousins/

And check this out :rolleyes: : http://indianembassy.ie/app/sites/indian_e...al_day_prog.htm

And those sneezing superstitions? They're everywhere! http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/mhs/mhs45.htm

"Superstitions that can put the Irish to shame!"

Maybe not too surprising.

wha...what! That was an intriguing set of links. especially the ones about Irish druids and celtics.

Buying metal on iron on Saturday is a no no, there are other restrictions for other days of the week anyone know any of them.

Yeah DD we´re the lost tribes of India here in Scotland and Ireland. Amazingly my dad would pass quite well for an Indian as would many Scots. Dark skin and jet black hair.

ah, yes the cawing; persistent cawing and my mother goes "someone is coming home today".

Sometimes she is beside herself when she's not done the daily ladle of cooked rice for the crows by 10 in the morning and she hears the crows cawing.

I'm late she says and hurries out with a ladle of boiled rice as offerings.

Weird, my mom.

Cawing, yes!

There are days when you don't want visitors, and the damn things keep cawing away.. ;)

You go to fetch the air gun, and Mom warns you that killing crows will bring you x years of bad luck.