Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
noflylist

Responsible Travel

I have not seen this topic discussed here. I have seen locals disregard the envoronment, hygiene etc, but it makes me madder when I see tourist unconcerned!

Any ideas, inputs! Serious discussion please!

I have not seen this topic discussed here. I have seen locals disregard the envoronment, hygiene etc, but it makes me madder when I see tourist unconcerned!

Any ideas, inputs! Serious discussion please!

I always have a problem with garbage when I am in my apartment in India. There are no dumpsters. Everyone else in the building just puts it in the vacant lot across the lane, where the dogs worry it to bits and strew it all over creation. Periodically a group of street cleaners then comes around, rakes up the debris and builds many little smoky plastic fires throughout the neighborhood. Living in hotels is simpler, they take it away and I don't have to see what happens to it. Harder for foreigners to be more careful of the environment than Indians when nobody has access to infrastructure. That said, twenty apartments in India do not generate nearly as much garbage on a week to week basis as does the apartment I live in in Canada and far more of it is recycled. I'd say Indian do a better job at it than we do. We just hide it better, off in big holes in the countryside.

...about Indians and recycling gives me one idea. All paper is recycled in India (locals sell it to recyclers called "Raddiwallah" So tourists should save all the papers, paperbags etc and give it to somebody with an understanding that it will be sold to the Raddiwallah or recycled in some way. Same thing with plastic water bottles, after flattening it, or coke cans.

...about Indians and recycling gives me one idea. All paper is recycled in India (locals sell it to recyclers called "Raddiwallah" So tourists should save all the papers, paperbags etc and give it to somebody with an understanding that it will be sold to the Raddiwallah or recycled in some way. Same thing with plastic water bottles, after flattening it, or coke cans.

Or you can just do what the Indians do and put it in the vacant lot. Someone will eventually come along and salvage anything that can be recycled. The only problem is that both they and the dogs rip the plastic bags the garbage is packaged in to shreds and leave them floating about.

Maybe I have misunderstood your comment, but it seems that you don't like it when tourists (or are we travelers? Another great debate over trivia...) do what the locals do. I undestand and agree to a certain extent; we are visitors and should treat the country with due respect. It can be tempting, however to think "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." It might be easier for tourists to treat the country with respect if the locals do, too. I don't throw garbage on the ground, but keep it in my backpack until I get back home or to the hotel, but garbage on the streets is a general problem.

Edited by Somerset

Now Somerset! No body is implying that locals should get away with anything, but since we are travellers and should be held to a tiny bit higher standard.

Sending a Rocket to the MOON is of Higher Priority ;)

Why is it they can't organise a simple garbage Collection, it can't be that Hard. :(

Other countries are able to do it, WHY NOT India ????????? :P

vandy :)

I didn't know where to post my query (still holding back on opening new threads). In another board I read a suggestion by someone for a good possibility for lodgings in the Bangalore-area. Instead of renting in a hotel the board member suggested buying property in India for his stay in the country. After about a year he'd sell the apartment at a profit! Does this sound legit?

I didn't know where to post my query (still holding back on opening new threads). In another board I read a suggestion by someone for a good possibility for lodgings in the Bangalore-area. Instead of renting in a hotel the board member suggested buying property in India for his stay in the country. After about a year he'd sell the apartment at a profit! Does this sound legit?

No. For all practical purposes, foreigners can't buy real property in India. There are some narrow exceptions, like people who have employment visas and who stay in India long enough to qualify as "resident" in the country. But a person on a tourist visa can't do that. In fact, a person on a tourist visa, even a long-term multiple-entry visa like the ten-year visas available to U.S. citizens, can't stay in India for more than 180 days at stretch. Moreover, if a person is qualified to buy real property in India, they may not be able to take any profits from its subsequent sale out of the country. A lot of people who come up with these "buy property in India" schemes have no earthly idea what they're talking about, no earthly idea about the FEMA and the RBI regulations, nothing. For longish term lodging, the only realistic option for a foreigner is a lease.

Hunh, and I thought someone had an input about responsible travel!

Wait a minute, dzibead, exposed an urban myth, that counts for responsible travel.