Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Lawrence of Suburbia

Trip To North India In Sept. ...joy!

In a bit of out-of-character impulsiveness, I'm joining a group of people going to N. India in mid-September (a Seattle Yoga school). We're going to visit McLeod Ganj, Rishikesh, Varanasi, bookended by some time in Delhi. The trip's theme is spirituality (as one might guess from the destinations; sort of "George Harrison's India"), and I've bought a pocket Bhagavad Gita to help me keep score. (This is actually part one of a two-parter for me, I'm returning in Nov. of 2008 with some friends for a Rajasthan/Agra ramble.) I'm fine-tuning what I shall take, clothes-wise, and guess that t-shirts and light trousers should be alright. I have a light rain shell for the likelihood of any monsoon lurking about. Earplugs for sleeping in the noisy city places!

We shall be staying in guest-houses and an ashram, while in-country. I am taking a sheet and towel as suggested somewhere, and kit for laundering the dirty bits. Travel will be by train (apart from a flight Delhi-Varanasi), which I'm thrilled by (I'll be pretending to be a character in a Merchant-Ivory film or Jewel In The Crown; I associate train travel on the subcontinent with the Raj, and my childhood in Lahore). I'd like to buy some scarves and maybe a kirta(sp?) or two, Chadni Chowk for that? One thrill: we'll be visiting a school for classical music and dance in Varanasi, where I may get to have a sitar lesson!

Anyway, I'm thrilled to be priveleged to be going to the most fascinating place on this planet, and may post some more silly questions or dotty enthusiasms.

Cheers,

Bruce

Edited by Lawrence of Suburbia

Guest priya

Keep up that enthusiam :lol: and keep posting - your being 'dotty' is really infectious.

Hi, it's a good planning to traveling North India, few years back I traveled alone on some high lands of Himalayas i.e now in Uttranchal , the places are full of tranquality and have Hindu mythological importance & the picturesque unspoiled scenic beauty along with spiritualisms, one can have have eternal feeling. Try to visit Gongotri, Gaumukh, Yaumunautri, Kedarnath, Tungnath, Barinath , Rishikesh, Haridwar etc.

Wait! You're going to India in September, and again in November? Are these both bery short visits? Whirlwind tours?

September will be very humid; take more clothing than you think you'll need, in case it doesn't dry very quickly! And be sure your towel is a thin one. (I never bother with a towel, just buy an extra sarong and use that to dry myself.)

Guest priya

Lawrence's post was written in 2007, as a matter of interest. :( Evidently the OP is supposed to be returning to Ma India in 2008. Maybe he'll pop back before he goes.

Visit taj mahal at September, It is most charming destination of India and you can choose overnight agra tour to experience sunrise view of taj mahal. That is most charming view of taj mahal and can captured best view of taj mahal in your camera.