Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
jyotirmoy

Rupmati

As the sun sets and the dusk falls, the evening wind blows, you stand still in this pavilion looking out over the distant river valley of the Narmada…. You seem to hear stains of music drifting out of the ruins. You are in Mandu and the pavilion is Rupmati’s pavilion. From the pavilion at the end of the terrace of this palace you feel as if you are standing on the prow of a great ship, surging through a rising sea of clouds glowing with the orange hue of the setting sun, with water streaming away in cascades as you ride the swell of your imagination. It’s a heady feeling!

The ruler of Malwa Baz Bahadur spent his time writing poetry and composing songs and went out on hunts. He was a great exponent of classical music and fonder of musical soirees than his duties at the royal court. It was on one of his hunts when he heard some one singing. Drawn by the melodious voice he came across young Rupmati who was then dumped by her aging husband. It was love at first sight. Enamored by her golden voice and her beauty, Baz Bahadur offered to marry her. But her Hindu Rajput family was against the alliance. Knowing there was no way to defy the king, they ordered Roopmati to commit suicide. The Sultan saved her just as she was being forced to consume poison and took her away.

Roopmathi's condition for marriage was that after marriage she should be able to see the Narmada. For this to happen, Baz Bahadur built Roopmati this pavilion. A system of pipes and shafts were also rigged up so that water from the holy Rewa Kund could be taken inside her palace for her rituals and bath. Baz Bahadur went on composing songs and praising the beauty of Rupmati. She had been considered one of the most beautiful women of India in that century, next only to Rani Padmini.

Unfortunately the music & love did not last for long. It died with Rupmati after the Mughal attack. To save herself from disgrace Rupmati slashed her wrists & consumed poison.

Jyoti ........ you write about some amazing things, and in such a beautiful way.

I think you add so much more to this site than mere travel details! You give us (well, me, at least) a wonderful insight into your country's very soul.

Jyoti ........ you write about some amazing things, and in such a beautiful way.

I think you add so much more to this site than mere travel details! You give us (well, me, at least) a wonderful insight into your country's very soul.

Thanks Judi. I will be more than happy if these posts help travelers to enjoy & feel the vibrations while visiting historical sites.