Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
ploma

Coimbatore Hotel Thinking In Ooty

Hello,

My flight is arriving to Coimbatore at 20'15 and from there I would like to go to Ooty and Mudumalai. We were thinking in spending a night in the city in order to catch the morning train to Mettupalayam and the the Toy train up ooty... Do you know any cheap and good hotel near Coimbatore train station? Or do you thing whe should go to Mettupalayam to sleep?

I don't have already bought the toy train ticket but I'll try to do it 4 days before when I'll land in Mumbai (as when I try to do it by internet with my VISA card it seems there is a problem between the banks :lol: ) do you think I'll have chances to get a ticket in First Class?

Thanks,

uribaba

Hello ploma, It may be best if you stayed at Metapalayam O'night, it's only about 1 & half hours taxi ride from Coimbatore.

As far as toy train tickets go, no need to waste your time in Mumbai doing this, get to Metapalayam train station a good hour before

toy train departure time, go to ticket counter YOURSELF and buy ticket.For best views going up sit on left hand side of train.

Ticket Touts will try and tell you that they will get train tickets for you, this is trick, they may either run away with the money or

they will get you second class tickets and say there is no more first class tickets, they then insist on keeping the money difference.

I can recommend Sullivan Court Hotel in Ooty, 4 star hotel, very comfortable with nice gardens.

Good Luck & Happy Travelling

vandy :lol:

post-2-14060092705306_thumb.jpg

ploma, john.sw (owner of the tree) spends a lot of time in ooty, i'm sure he'll have some advice when he gets back.

i'd love to go on the toy train.

There's only one good hotel in Coimbatore that I know. The Residency - it costs about Rs.3000 a night but is very good.

In Mettupalyam there's the Hotel EMS Mayura at 212 Coimbatore Main Road. Reasonable rates, clean and comfortable and good food. Tel 04254 227936/227937

To be honest, I wouldn't take the train all the way from Mettupalyam to Ooty. It is a long, long journey (much of it a walking pace), and the best bits are further up the railway line as you climb higher into the Nilgiri Hills.

I would take a car from Coimbatore Airport to Coonoor, stay at the stunningly beautiful Kurumba Village Resort.

The young owner, Sanjay Awatramani, has made a fantastic job of building a very small "resort" of individual cottages on a spice plantation in the valley. There is a giant waterfall, superb views and the setting is perfect. It is really not to be missed!

http://www.kurumbavillageresort.com sanjay@kurumbavillageresort.com

+91 9323421823

+91 9443998886

+91 423 2004850/1/2

You can buy a First Class ticket from Coonoor to Ooty at the station. It costs Rs.76 for the ticket and an extra Rs.15 for the seat reservation.

If you take the morning train to Ooty you'll have plenty of time to visit the place. As far as Ooty town goes, it's just a town (although we like it because of family connections, friends and the Club). You could visit the Botanical Gardens, the Rose Garden, the Boating Lake and the viewpoint at Doddabetta - and you could go out to Pykara Lake and Pykara falls which is lovely and very peaceful.

The real beauty is in the surrounding area. The tea plantations, the countryside the tranquillity - it's all very beautiful, but you have to travel a mile or so to be in the real Ooty.

Masinagudi (by Mudamulai) is on the Ooty to Mysore road. There are 36 hairpin bends from Ooty down to Masinagudi and it's quite spectacular. Take your time and stop for chai on the bridge by the Forest Department checkpoint.

Masinagudi itself is just a one-horse town, but in nearby Bokkapuram you will find a fair few resorts hidden away in the jungle. Some are outrageously expensive and others are reasonable value, but I have never stayed in one myself as we have a house nearby!

If you like trekking, I have a couple of friends who can take you on the most spectacular treks around Ooty (tailored to suit your energy levels). As they're members of the Ooty Club, they can also put you up there as guests. I can't remember the guest room rate at the Club but it's not expensive - maybe Rs.1000 or so a night.

Writing this is making me homesick! :clapping: I love the Nilgiris and I hope you love the place too!

john, is the resort really as beautiful as it looks in the photos? absolutely stunning location, and a discreetly tasteful resort to match.

Yes it is - absolutely stunning and hidden away in a steep valley.

Sanjay is such a lovely man and he's a true professional. He has put his heart and soul into creating the Kurumba Village Resort and he has even done things like importing his mattresses from the USA so that guests are really comfortable!

This place is quite unique - and well worth a stay if you're in the area.

One caveat - it's built on a steep hillside, so if you're old and frail you may find the slopes and steps a bit difficult.

Nice one John,

Definetly will check that one out next time I am in that area. :clapping:

vandy :o

post-2-14060092705522_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much for all your replies!!!

I use to travel on a low budget (around 5 euros per day on accommodation) so most of your options are far too expensive for me. Kurumba Village will have to wait a little bit... :)

I really loved to read about all that places and I'm sure I'll visit some of them. I think I'll board the train at Coonnor as john suggest and I will try to buy the ticket before in order to have less hassle with the touts and have more time to reach Coonor.

One thing that I would like to know is about spice plantations. While in Ooty, beside the tea plantations, walks around and Mudamulai, I would like to visit spice plantations if possible but I have'nt read about this in my guidebook...

Do you think it's possible to visit one spice plantation in Ooty?

Thanks to all

There are no spice plantations in Ooty - it is too cold to grow spices!

You won't have any hassle with touts at Coonoor Station - it's very small and not like in a big town at all.

Kurumba Village Resort looks wonderful! And Sanjay must have been a student of English literature at some point in his life - I've never seen so many literary references on a resort/hotel website before! :?: