Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
jyotirmoy

Tribal Architecture

An interesting project is taking shape near Bhopal.

Original tribal homes from different parts of India are being transported and teams of crafts men from these areas are reassembling them in a big park near Bhopal. Beautiful havelis from Jaisalmer stand next to the elevated huts of tribal northeast, beautifully painted homes from the Kutch region. Once completed it will be a Mecca for students of architecture and will save them long journeys to different parts of India which they have to do now. THe exit to the park is through a replica of a snake boat of Kerala.

Who is sponsoring this project?

It is Govt. sponsored, shall get more details from my friend's daughter an architect who is there at this moment.

The project is named "Museum of Mankind" At present it has a collection of 50 units and it will eventually showcase all the 450 tribal communities of India. The entrance to this museum is marked with a traditional Uttarakhand Gate. So much attention is paid to details that if a house in a particular community faces east the unit in exhibit would also face east.

Right now work is on a 300 year-old Paliwal style Haveli of the Maheshwari trading community from Jaisalmer.

The chief curator is Dr. A.K. Tiwari.

Sorry iwttgob I couldn't find a website. My friend's daughter invites you to join her if you want.

It sounds good, I think it will be good to attract tourism to the Bhopal area as well, which is now a bit of a forgotten country.

For me the name of Bhopal is still associated with the enormous catastrophe that took place more than 20 years ago. :)

Yes LW... the photo of a dead infant girl with severely damaged eyes looking like a blue marbles still haunts me