Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
cyberhippie

Getting To Nepal

Hey guys an Uncle of mine is looking to get to Nepal from The UK on a budget. Anyone got some inside info on this?? Flight prices London - Kathmandu, is it still a little cheaper to fly via Delhi. What about trekking (doc funk as our resident mountaineer) can you just wander off on your own (the guy has plenty mountain craft experience and is fit) or are guides required

Tea houses what kind of accommodation standard are they and how about the prices meals. Where can you get a good western meal in Kathmandu after weeks of Dal Bat, when is the best time of year to go for a bit of trekking!!

Places to see in Kathmandu??

I'll post more questions as they pop into my head

Thanks in advance!

Flying via Delhi is usually the best way, price-wise.

If he's coming from your neck of the woods, Kathmandu has a connection with Vienna although it's only once a week (possibly twice, not often at any rate) which can be a good deal. I came back that way when I saw you in Amsterdam recently. Worth looking into as it's a quicker flight, even if coming from the UK as you avoid changing in the Middle East somewhere.

Trekking - I'm all for wandering off on your own as long as it's a tea-house route. You get to go at your own pace and a guide's unnecessary in my opinion. You'll need one of Trailblazer's excellent guides to the region but that's all you need - it has maps, lodge recommendations and good background info.

Lodge standards range from basic to reasonably comfortable.

A couple of examples -

This place:

77478432.jpg

cost NRs. 50 a night (38 pence!) for my own room with shared bathroom and view of Annapurna South. :indiaflag:

And this place:

77478441.jpg

was NRs. 100 a night (75p) for a room with a shared bathroom. Most expensive (if you can call it that) was in Ghorepani where I paid NRs. 300 (£2.30) for a room with it's own bathroom. It's ridiculously cheap out there.

On the Jomsom trek some of the tea-houses' standards aren't far off a reasonable hotel. Comfy beds, hot showers, great food at stupidly cheap prices. I had a daily budget of Nrs. 1000 a day (£7.50) when I was trekking and that allowed for a couple of beers most nights and some of the world-beating apple pie. Stretch to a tenner / fifteen quid and you'd have difficulty spending that much.

He might like to read my blog bits about The Jomsom Trek and The Ghorepani / Poon Hill / Ghandruk Circuit, ch. I go into a fair bit of detail about what to take / budgetting / how to get by without a guide etc in those. As for other sites around Kathmandu etc, he might want to read my witterings on My Favourite Places In Nepal.

Oh yes, tell him not to miss The Everest Flight, either. I went with Yeti Airlines and they were great - they make sure everyone gets up into the cockpit to see old Qomolongma in all her glory. :indiaflag:

Anything I've missed? Feel free to fire away with anything else ...

Edited by Dr Funkenstein

I can't add a lot to that; what a beautiful blog/site Doc :indiaflag: .

I do have a suggestion for a guesthouse in Kathmandu. The Tibet Guesthouse (funny name for a place in Nepal); they serve delicious (Western) food, (which is a relief after weeks of Dal Bat), the rooms are very cosy furnished, the guesthouse is in central Chetrapaty (wrong spelling), the prices are between $ 25,- and $ 75,- (depends on the season and the luxiory)

Thanks a lot guys much appreciated I'll pass this along and who knows he might even join the forum and ask you himself, if there's anything else!

Cheers!

Thankyou, Luckywoman. :indiaflag:

If your Uncle wants a bit of peace and quiet in Kathmandu (Thamel / Chettrapati can be a bit full on), Boudha / Boudhanath is a great place to stay. The Dragon Guesthouse there is excellent - near the Great Stupa, great food, friendly owners, interesting other guests (mainly Western Buddhists on courses etc). Very nice place. Abour 3 or 4 quid a night, if memory serves, I think.

Or he could stay out in Pashupatinath and be confronted by naked ash-smeared sadhu's doing very odd things with rocks every day. :indiaflag: There's something for everyone in KTM. :indiaflag:

(I walked past the Tibet House that Luckywoman mentions and it looked like a very nice place to stay, btw).

Thanks guys.

I'm that 'Uncle' of cyberhippie. However if he was any older then he would be my uncle. :ranting:

That lot has given me something to get my teeth into. Me being a greenhorn traveller and all that.

Fed up reading books on the place so it's time I got off my backside and did something about it. Not into mega treks

or anything like that. Would like to experience the country and people etc. Doc - your treks sound like just the thing.

I'm looking at trying to get out in October but realistically it could be spring.

Hi there ryvoan and welcome to the Tree. :)

If you've never trekked before, the Jomsom Trek is ideal - you fly into the high point and walk back. By and large, it's downhill so it's not strenuous and it gives you all the high mountain views you could wish for (you walk past the Dhaulaghiri Icefall at one point) and it's great for learning a bit about Nepali hill-culture.

And you've got Pokhara to start / end it in - a nice place to relax for a few days or longer.

October is prime trekking time but Spring's nice, too. I was trekking in the Spring this year and the weather was fantastic for the whole thing.

My main tip: give yourself LOADS of time. I saw far too many people legging it around the whole Annapurna Circuit in three weeks or something and they just didn't look like they were having much fun to me. The Jomsom trek can be done in 4 days or so - I took a week and had a nice relaxing stroll downhill and loved it.

Btw, this book is excellent for the Jomsom Trek:

51J7TV2877L._SS500_.jpg

You won't need a guide if you've got that.