Gourmet India

Last Sunday at Chetan's insistence, I dragged myself out of bed early and met up with him at Vidyarthi Bhavan located in one of the oldest areas of Bangalore. Vidyarthi Bhavan looks like it's stuck in a time warp and has the same look as it must have been 50 years ago.
We got a table after a good 30 minutes of 'hovering' around customers who were about to finish (much like a Parsi wedding).
Chetan recommended the Dosas and I wasn't disappointed, they were thick and crisp almost like a Tuille.
After eating two Dosas each there wasnt room to try anything else so that will have to wait for our next visit. We left our much coveted seats to other eager 'hovering' customers.
I must mention that the waiters are experts in bringing out over a dozen dosas stacked on a single arm! I tried to take a photograph of this amazing dexterity but they were too fast for me.

Possibly the best Dosas in Bangalore

• Like 1

Here's a picture of this great Dosa. If clamped on a retort stand at 1/3rd Length it will remain horizontal.

and the 'hoverers" :mellow:

More photos from Vidyarthi Bhavan from a recent visit

Rava Vada

The famous Vidyarthi Bhavan Stack . This is how you are served

Second Anniversary huh ? :D

Physicists have moved tiny particles by telekinesis over tiny distances. Don't understand any of the details. When do yo think they can move dosa Vidyarthi Bhavan to Ithaca?

I got a brilliant idea just now! Catch as many veg. [nowadays with secularism hawa, not certain!] Tambrahm physicists. IMPRISON in nice COLD environment. Bring to Ithaca and strictly feed frozen food + McDonalds, nothing else. No masala, not even black pepper, certainly not hot sauce or even ketchup. NO mixed fruit jam, even. No rice. Just canned Spaghetti-Os & chicken Mcnuggets & french fries. Show them live video stream of BVB 24/7loop. Watch how research moves!!!!!!!

• Like 1

The famous Vidyarthi Bhavan Stack . This is how you are served

Wow, thats quite a tall stack. Amazing.

On my recent Visit again to Vidyarthi Bhavan , I decided to try the Sagu Dosa , pretty good but definitely NOT special like the Masala Dosa !

From the outside there is absolutely no difference between the Masala Dosa and the Sagu Dosa at Vidyarthi Bhavan

Its the vegetable that makes all the difference . The Sagu inside , the sagu is normally used with Poori's .

• Like 1

I agree with Chetan,this is undoubtedly the Best Masala Dosas, I have ever eaten. Some of the other close competitors would be Dosa Camp - Jayanagar and MTR - Near Urvashi Theatre.There are 3 important features of this Dosas - best quality ghee, tasty potato filling and a secret Dosa Batter. Add to this, the swelling crowds, newspaper napkins, sketches of famous Kannada personalities and you have a restaurant which is impossible to recreate.

• Like 2