Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
YETI

Greetings From Pokhara!

Those of you that came to sleepy Pokhara years and years ago might be in for a bit of a shock these days, I think.

Lakeside is really tacky - touristy beyond belief ... but, fortunately, as with most places, you've only got to get off the beaten track a little bit and everything reurns to it's normal somnolent ways. Where I'm staying in Anadu is the best of both worlds, really. Because you have to row there by boat, it's totally isolated but if I need the Internet, a steak and a bottle of wine (yes! wine! made by Jacob's Creek! Buddha be praised! :clapping: ) and a natter to another Westerner Lakeside's only 20 minutes away. Perfect.

KK - Yes, still thinking of Lhasa, maybe in a month or so's time. Fly KTM to Lhasa and then drive back taking a detour to Everest base. It'll be difficult to drag myself away from here, mind.

TQ - All the comments on my site are moderated so I can keep an eye on you unruly lot. :unsure: It might take a day or so for me to get around to it, but all comments should appear after a bit of a delay. I'm still learning how to run my own site (with much appreciated help from skinnylatte from IndiaMike) so please bear with me if things are a bit wonky in the early days.

Leith - The weather's changeable but generally pretty nice. Warming up a bit now - late 20's I guess but we still get the odd impressive storm that blows down off the mountains. Say hi to your brother for me, won't you?

Somnath - it's funny you should say that because Phewa Tal reminds me of Dal Lake quite a bit. But fortunately minus the constant assaults on your wallet. ;)

It's nice to hear from all of you.

Take it easy, folks. :bigsmile:

Nice one Jamie,

Glad to hear your enjoying Nepal. Keep us informed of your travels.

I arrived back in Arambal to a slightly frosty reception on March ninth but that's all sorted now!

Jon From Lancaster turned up two days ago too and there's always a fair bunch of decent people at God's Gift.

Best Wishes

John

Nice one, John.

Say hi to all the Gods Gift crew for me, won't you?

Where you heading next?

I'm currently looking at prices for a trip to Tibet but they're all a bit out of my price-range. I'm trying to get a bit of a price-war going with a couple of agents here in Pokhara but neither of them are biting, as yet. I've got a feeling they might be brothers. Oops. :D

Still very nice here in Pokhara - the heat's beginning to crank itself up a bit now - time to head for the hills methinks.

Nice one, John.

Say hi to all the Gods Gift crew for me, won't you?

Where you heading next?

I'm currently looking at prices for a trip to Tibet but they're all a bit out of my price-range. I'm trying to get a bit of a price-war going with a couple of agents here in Pokhara but neither of them are biting, as yet. I've got a feeling they might be brothers. Oops. :whistling:

Still very nice here in Pokhara - the heat's beginning to crank itself up a bit now - time to head for the hills methinks.

Ah, Dr F, glad to see you've made it to Tibet... I'm planning to be in Lhasa next week for a few days, see if you can make it by then :giggle: (PM me in this case, as I rarely check this forum nowadays, too busy!!)

Heading up to Muktinath in a couple of days, Jyoti Da.

Should be good. :)

V_V - I'm not sure if Tibet's gonna be possible on this trip, now. The prices (both here in Pokhara and in Kathmandu) are astronomical. $US2000 or thereabouts - most agents say this is because I have to hire a Chinese 'guide' who'll probably keep me away from all the stuff I want to see, anyhow.

So, on another trip, I expect, I'm looking at flying into China (Chengdu, probably) and making my own way to Tibet. Nepal's probably the worst country to try and enter Tibet from - as there's obviously a lot of pro-Tibetan sympathies here, the Chinese Embassy won't issue visas to independent travellers.

I'm going to do a bit more shopping around for a better deal when I get back to Kathmandu but it doesn't really look feasible for me at the moment.

Dr.F I had visited Muktinath decades ago. I don't find much info about how the place is now, so please post your view of the place as it is now. I hope it has retained the mysterious charm that it once had.

Tatopani is another cool place on the way. The sulphur hot spring used to be great. A bath here after days of strainous trekking was so refreshing.

G’day Doc seems like you have found a nice spot to while away some time. My brother paid me a visit last week for a few days and returns your greetings. We often reminisce of our stay at Gods Gift and the good folk we met.

We pondered over a few beers a trip to Nepal in the near future and we appreciate your trailblazing. We are spending a month or so on a small island in the South China Sea (Tioman) in July and then I’m off to Darwin (tropical Australia) for a month, so unfortunately it will not be until 2008.

We were wondering of the political situation in Nepal at this moment. I try to keep up to date with such things through the media but would be interested in your comments.

Leith

Leith -

It's pretty quiet here politically now - there are elections planned for June and everyone's sort of waiting to see the outcome of them.

Personally, I've had no problems due to the political situation - you might get caught up in a strike I suppose, but that'll only set you back a day or so. Down on the Terai there's been some violence recently but the only hint (that I've seen) that things aren't absolutely fine are the occasional UN vehicles you see driving around.

I think Nepal's perfectly safe for tourists right now - I've been here 2 months now and I've not witnessed any disturbances.

Jyoti Da - Didn't make it to Muktinath, unfortunately - a massive dust-storm set in when I got off the plane at Jomsom so I headed downhill to Marpha, a beautiful spot.

Did get to soak my weary limbs in the hot springs at Tatopani, though - very relaxing.

Oh yes, here's a fragment of the view from halfway up Poon Hill:

Click!

My creaky legs wouldn't carry me any further up the hill but I think I got a pretty good view anyhow. ^_^