anil

NYC

38 posts in this topic

Long time no post on my drinking merry ways. Blame it on WorldCup :) But fear not ! Nothing like going to an Irish dive and see most of the teams I wanted humiliated, done so (Ofcourse Brazil was the exception :( )

The New York places - Some new some old..

We start with the Opening Game of the World Cup. This being Hell's Kitchen, an old irish neighborhood with irish gangs, definitely no love for England, or Italy given the gang wars of the last century.

World Cup did not get the prime billing as it was Hockey time :) NY Rangers were in the finals again. But no mass ! Still home team is home team even though we knew it was a lost case from the start. 

Rest of the places, getting lot of cute bartenders as summer approached. 

Finally, the favorite Pony Bar, where beer menu changes every day. No Budwieser, No cans, No Coors, No Heineken, No table service. All beers same price - And food is pretty good for a bar.

2 people like this

Looking at the hot dog menu, I have to ask you, have you been to PDT(please don't tell)?? It has a hidden door inside a hot dog place right?

1 person likes this

Looking at the hot dog menu, I have to ask you, have you been to PDT(please don't tell)?? It has a hidden door inside a hot dog place right?

The one in Alphabet City ? It is meant for Bridge&Tunnel crowd, and some poof-gurl-types. Noone serious about their drink waits over an hour in line to get in and then order a gimmicry of a drink and pay over twelve dollars for a drink.  Yes went there once with, a tunnel-poof-gurl. Never again.

Edited by anil
2 people like this

The Landmark Tavern, one of the few still surviving pre prohibition era irish saloon. Located on the edge of my neighborhood, it serves food with simple honesty and pours the few beers with deft.

1 person likes this

Two more dives in NYC - One in Hell's Kitchen, and other in the Village. 

Most dives discourage active photographs. But you cannot prevent someone to be pretending be on his smartphone while using the camera could you ? :) 

1 person likes this

Bars come and bars go. Some are a fad, and some, here to stay. 

hknyc.jpg.b3b2014e8ef0649d90b7959b68da50

Here is one, called Jolly Monk, that is a newcomer to Hell's Kitchen.

1 person likes this

What a generous offer. Guess what happens on Happy Wednersdays ? Gals pick up the bar tab that runs into hundreds.

ned45.jpg

nfw4.jpg

A Hell's Kitchen bar with 48 beers on draft.

1 person likes this