Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
jyotirmoy

Muktinath

Muktinath is a sacred place for both Hindus and Buddhists. It is situated at an altitude of 3,710 metres. Buddhists call it Valley Chumming Gyatsa (in Tibetan language it means the place of 108 waterspouts) and believe that Guru Rimpoche (Padmasambhava) the founder of Tibetan Buddhism meditated here on his way to Tibet.

From Pokhara one has to go trekking the entire route or travel partly by bus up to Beni or Birethanti (Nayapul) and then either by foot or pony. There is now a flight from Pokhara to Jomson. From Jomson and then again either by foot or pony. Jomsom, a large village has hotels that provide boarding and lodging facilities. Generally travellers & pilgrims hire well-trained ponies at Jomsom to take them to Muktinath. The pony rider acts as a guide too.

At Muktinath you will also see earth, fire and water come together where the eternal flame burns night and day, giving the place an aura of mystery.

This is a tough trek but the varied faces of the Himalayas that you see makes it worth all the effort.

I'm giving this one a serious bit of thought at the moment.

I'd like to do it on a full moon - it sounds fantastic.

It gets a good write-up in the Rough Guide. I'd imagine it's a little bit more developed nowadays but it still sounds beautiful.

I doubt I'm anywhere near fit enough for it, yet, mind. I'm currently pounding the coast path in Cornwall to try and get a bit more stamina.

I'm currently pounding the coast path in Cornwall to try and get a bit more stamina.

Onenice option could be to start a trip by flying in directly to Kathmandu , and then Jomosom. The altitude reaction should in some degree more tolerable by a long stint in cabin pressure ( equal to around 2400 meters) and a day or half in Ktm.

From Jomosom I remember it as a nice walk , obviously not all downhill , but mostly.

Yeah, the wussy cop-out fly in and walk downhill trek sounds ideal for me. :blink:

If the worst comes to the worst I'll just lie down and roll to Pokhara.

It gets a good write-up in the Rough Guide. I'd imagine it's a little bit more developed nowadays but it still sounds beautiful.

I doubt I'm anywhere near fit enough for it, yet, mind. I'm currently pounding the coast path in Cornwall to try and get a bit more stamina.