• A few Paise
    • A few Rs.
    • More than 10 Rs.
    • More than 50 Rs.
    • More than 100 Rs.

Neil Hedge    0

I've been there, and have had to do that,,,,,,,,,,,,

But that was 30yrs ago, So yes sure, Now I can, I do give occasionally,

When you've got absolutely nothing to your name, certainly no cash, plastic, or anyone to wire money out to you, you view life & people in a whole new light. But ho ho, that is very enriching in itself,,,,,,,,,,

But of course the situation & circumstances do dictate who I give too & how much they get.

I definitely don't give to young beggers who think it's a game to beg from foreigners. I will give to some old person who looks in need , sometimes even when they haven't asked. Or I'd perhaps pay for something for them. I would also consider giving to an amputee or disfigured person as long as they didn't seem to be a "professional"

Ok I know theres a school of thought that it's encouraging people to beg, but you've got to weigh each instance up as it appears to you.

I certainly don't agree with the "no I don't give anything to anyone brigade"

Guest Shanthi   
Guest Shanthi

I actually get more bombarded with beggars on the streets of Cork City, by the Romanian Gypsies that have taken up residence there over the past few years - they also sit/stand with babies (either borrowed or in some cases, their own) in all weathers around the City - thrusting themselves at you and shouting obscenities at you if you refuse to give them anything...SO, local beggars? Nah, no bother at all. I have about three that I give to regularly and there is one lady who is mentally retarded, that if I had the facilities and the room, I would offer a place in our family to without a doubt!

Giving to beggars... hmm... I rarely give money, and if I do only a few rupees (but it's rare)... I was just thinking about the alcoholic mother and the pain that caused, what would the money be spent on and would they get it or would it go to someone who 'managed the children/beggars?)... If that's the case where do the managers of the stop, at a broken leg, cut off fingers, or erhaps a limb.... This is my main reason for not giving. There might be a few that spend it on food, bt if they're really desperate they're more likely to spend it on alcohol to take away the food cravings and stop the miser in their life...

If I give then fruit/healthy food is what I would give... Any one any comments, I just go with what I've seen, would like input otherwise..

the idea of providing food, a snack or a meal seems to be a productive one. I know that I felt quite comfortable giving to a beggars restaurant in ahmedabad.

captmahajan    0

Though I voted sometimes and more than 10 rupees, I try to give something to eat. There is usually a shop around.

The only guy I used to give money regularly was a guy without legs on a homemade skateboard at a traffic light here in Hyderabad, because he never asked. Haven't seen him around recently.

cyberhippie    0

Poiple Shadow it's a common misconception that these "managers" as you call them are menovelent monsters, it's not always the case, beggers are often organised and the managers elected to keep a patch free from incomers seeking new ground!!

So the stories of these mafia style bosses lording it like Fagen over young beggers whilst true; is not the whole story!!

Yes I sometimes give to beggers I may have the wool pulled over my eyes sometimes (though I don't really see the harm if they slope of for a swift "bangla" I'm guessing I'd feel the same way if I lived on a dusty street dependant on passing strangers) but I like to think I've the experience to know when the situation warrents it!!

jyotirmoy    30

In Jama Masjid & Nizamuddin area in Delhi you will see a group of very poor people crouched outside small eateries... you will see them as you come out of Karims. The owners of these eateries feed one person with 2 rotis & curry for 10 rupees. When ever I go to these places like I did last night with our member jaybel for dinner at Karims I hand over 50 bucks to the owner & instruct him to call in 5 children. But becareful you might be mobbed after that Indianworker is a testimony to that... jaybel escaped unscathed tho...

Poiple Shadow it's a common misconception that these "managers" as you call them are menovelent monsters, it's not always the case, beggers are often organised and the managers elected to keep a patch free from incomers seeking new ground!!

So the stories of these mafia style bosses lording it like Fagen over young beggers whilst true; is not the whole story!!

Yes I sometimes give to beggers I may have the wool pulled over my eyes sometimes (though I don't really see the harm if they slope of for a swift "bangla" I'm guessing I'd feel the same way if I lived on a dusty street dependant on passing strangers) but I like to think I've the experience to know when the situation warrents it!!

Swift "Bangla" now you are talking brother Cyber :blink:

malkers    0

OK, here goes Mr Controversial!

I like to think I treat all human beings as equals, except that is beggars and anybody trying to con me or hassle me to buy something I don't want!

I have zero tolerance for beggars anywhere in the world whatever their circumstances and I don't believe in such thing as a genuine beggar, if there is such a thing well OK but I've yet to find one! The folk that bring children in to this world purely for the purpose of earning money out of them are the lowest form of being on earth in my eyes, same goes for the ladies that share the baby and pass it around at the busiet traffic point in town filling its lungs with sh*t and fumes. How an earth anyone can support this evil practice is beyond me.

These folk are not interested in working, if you offer them money to do something for you then this is one of the quickest ways to get rid of them! I'd much rather give money to a poor shoe cleaner for not even cleaning my shoes just for the fact he or she is making an effort to eek a living. I give extra to my maid and my driver because I am outraged at the difference in earnings they have to say an office worker when they work just as hard.

Every time I see a beggar clapping eyes on me and making a beeline for my white face amongst a crowd I am filled with rage that I didn't know existed in me and if they dare to yank my arm or block my way they soon wish they hadn't. The ones that purposely wait outside a restaurant for me or worse still, come in and beg, well you can imagine my response and as for the lovely lady boys that threaten to curse me and my children if I don't give, well luckily the look on my face kinda warns them they are about to get thumped and they head off pretty quickly.

For some reason the most annoyed I have ever been by a beggar was on the Darjeeling Toy Train, I'd bought my ticket and boarded just before it pulled off, I was chatting to a lovely Indian/Australian couple when a clean dressed man in perfect health saw us and boarded our carriage and held his hands out to both of us right in the middle of our conversation, I wanted to kill him but bit my tongue and hussled him out of the train. I hate it when the beggars come onto normal trains and you have to bolt yourself to all your valuables until the train pulls off, why doesn't anyone stop this from happening?

If the law clamped down on this antisocial behaviour then these people would have to do something else wouldn't they?

OK, so look at me sat in my Ivory Tower preaching to the poor, yep I had a relatively comfortable upbringing in my western country and didn't want for too much! But begging is something I will never support, not ever. Asking for help is a totally different thing, I'll help anyone in need, a total stranger even, I'll support certain charities if I believe they are making a difference and with my new found passion from India and wealth from trading with India I hope to give a whole lot back before I die and if there is ever a cause for getting beggars to actually get off the street and do some work then I'll support that wholeheartedly!

I don't have a problem with those folk who do give to beggars, I just wish they wouldn't as I personally think thats a contibution in making the world a worse place!

My opinions of course, I don't expect anyone to agree with them but hope some may see my point!

Malc

YETI    0

Sometimes I give, sometimes I don't.

I try not to think about it too much as I usually end up making moral judgements about people I know nothing about. This doesn't sit very easily with me.

So sometimes I give a few rupees, other times I don't.