Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
HowieUK

End Of Season Leh!

Been in Leh a while now (Lost track of time!)

Found a quieter place 23Km away but there not answering the phone so a bit disappointing as I went to look at it yesterday and although I will be the only 'guest' hoping to have a week of quiet time there.

The festival in Leh on now is not really my cup of tea! The 'Mask Ceremony' had its moments but not really into Polo!

The first 'Hotel I stayed in was on the 'Old Leh Road' called 'Nezer View Guest House', They charged a high price for little amenities if anyone wants to know more I will PM them.

The second one where I've been about 5 days was 'Jigmet', it's in all the books! This has a beautiful garden, bucket hot water (I don't mind!) Unless you get your timings right for a shower! The problem from my point of view is they take in large groups of 'treckers' or 'Temple visitors' all of one nationality or another and they bond big time! No room for anyone else so as a single traveller you may not get the welcome you expect! If travelling in a couple then maybe you can overcome the lack of 'friendliness' here, that is supposed to be one of there main attractions!

Sorry about the negativism here but telling it from a single travellers perspective!

Howie

C'mon Howie, keep your pecker up mate! I know exactly what you mean though, you can start to feel a bit lonely when you're travelling solo & end up at an isolated spot where no one speaks your lingo, but we're all here if you need to talk, just shout!

The positive side to this is that when you get back to a touristy bit you start to appreciate it more!

When are you due to head back out of Leh? Are you gonna backtrack over the rhotang or do you fancy the Kashmir route? Remember the road back to Manali closes officially on the 15th Sept (though sometimes it stays open a month longer) but bearing in mind the strange weather they've been having up there it may close early this year. I understand the road was closed in both directions for a few days about a week ago due to heavy snowfall which had created an auto icerink on the top of them there passes. Keep your eye on it! KK

I kow what that feels like, when I was in chonor House in MG they had a large group in residence huge table set up for 14 for dinner, its not easy going in to the restuarant and having a table for 1. No booze there either. But its do-able just not easy. I used the time to keep my journal up to date. Stay safe and enjoy, keep smiling.

All the best Susanj :D

Well I eventually got out of Leh, only by 25km and although I was the only guest the place was fantastic and isolated although only 30mins away from Leh itself on the bike.

I will write up about it later as it would be worth a few days or more at next season maybe for someone to get away from the hustle and bustle!

I am back in Leh today however and will spend the night here (Gonna treat myself to a "Mid" guesthouse)

I am setting off tomorrow (can never spell that word!) back to Manali and Delhi. Same route to Manali but will then look at the map!

I was going to hang around for a few more days but decided last night to treat myself today (Yes I am 52! (OLd Sod!)) and set back off tomorrow, just a feeling really that it was the right time to go!

Will return to the "travelling thread" probably write up in Keylong where I will probably have a couple of rest days!

Speak soon

Howie

I am setting off tomorrow (can never spell that word!) back to Manali and Delhi. Same route to Manali but will then look at the map!

Howie

Hi Howie, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, it was mine yesterday, yes 9/11!

There is an amazing route back from Manali which not many take, once you pass Bhuntar take the next & only major turn left to Aut & the Himalayan National Park this is the back route to Shimla which goes over the Jalori pass 3200 metres. The road is very quiet & you will pass through the last of the fairly "untouched" areas of H.P. where there are a few nice little villages such as Khanag, Ani, Sainj ,Shoja you could also Visit the Holy Sereulsar lake where the ancient sage Shingar Rishi meditated, or maybe spend a day or 2 deep in the National Park. The scenery is reputed to be among the best in H.P. Here's a link with some pics http://www.masterlyinactivity.com/spiti/shimla.html. This route eventually drops you onto the Kinnaur Hindustan-Tibet road near Narkanda which then leads back to Shimla.

If you have time why not take a quick visit up the Parvati valley first to Kashol & Manikaran, definitely worth a quick look while you're in the vacinity. Have a drink on me tonight! KK

That sounds interesting Rob!

I will certainly look into that in Manala!

I've had a great day, met a couple of Bikers and we may meet up in Sarchu, also met another great Lahdakhan who helped me find a screw foor the Enfield's contact breaker points cover - for no money of course! If you meet the right people they are so helpful and not after any money from you.

The same as the guy's place I stayed at in Phyang (one of the worse hit areas in the recnt floods), he attempted to give me change saying I gave him too much money (150rps a night + what I want to pay for food!)

I will definitely give him a plug shortly!!

Howie

Howie - you really seem to be having a lovely adventure :) As KK says, don't forget that there is always someone here for you to 'talk' to ....... and if you are feeling particularly lonely anytime, remember that several of your fellow treemonkeys are riding pillion with you in spirit, if not actuality ;)

The second drink tonight is on me. ;)

KK wrote:

once you pass Bhuntar take the next & only major turn left to Aut & the Himalayan National Park this is the back route to Shimla which goes over the Jalori pass 3200 metres. The road is very quiet & you will pass through the last of the fairly "untouched" areas of H.P. where there are a few nice little villages such as Khanag, Ani, Sainj,,,,,,,,,

Don't miss Banjar along that route, great place to spend the night or ten,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Or it was in 74 when the harvest was 7 foot high and the pollen glistened in the sun and we wandered around stoned rubbing the finest charas that you ever layed your hands on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don't miss Banjar along that route, great place to spend the night or ten,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Or it was in 74 when the harvest was 7 foot high and the pollen glistened in the sun and we wandered around stoned rubbing the finest charas that you ever layed your hands on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

........ and don't fall off the bloody bike if you follow this advice :):):D