Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
abhijitsur

Vaishno Devi Shrine

Many religious people must have heard about it. There is no temple. In a cave three small rocks form the three Shakti-Kali,Lakshmi and Saraswati devi. The cave is situated at an altitude of 5200ft.

How to go?

From Jammu one has to go to Katra which is 48 km. From Katra there are five options
1) Trek uphill 13 km
2) helicopter service from Deccan Airways. One way fare is Rs2000. From helipad 3 km walk
3) Pony. Charge is around Rs350 to and fro.
4) Pittu. The portar carry children on their back. No adults !!
5) Dandi. Four people will carry in a open top palanquin. Charge Rs2250.

Usually there will be rush round the year except Jan and Feb.

It is better to take VIP pass through on line. There is quota of 1000 tickets per day. They charge Rs50 per head. Children below 10 years are not charged.

For details and online bookings please visit [url="http://www.maavaishnodevi.org"]Vaihnodevi site[/url]

[quote name='Abhijit Sur' post='9835' date='Jul 14 2006, 02:10 PM']It is better to take VIP pass through on line. There is quota of 1000 tickets per day. They charge Rs50 per head. Children below 10 years are not charged.[/quote]

can you please clarify what quote and charge (Rs. 50) are you talking about???

I think he is talking about Yatra Slip (Parchi ) . But I have not paid anything for obtaining Yatra Slip at katra bus stand counter. It was free . I heard about VIP Pass but dont know the details . From where this can be purchased & how ?

Yatra slip (parchi) is [color="#CC0000"]free [/color] if you take it from Katra or any other shrine office in that area. They allow 24 to 25 thousand devotees per day due to security and space constraint reasons. In the time of peak hours you will be put on waiting queue. You are not sure when your turn will come. Another difficulty is the long queue at the cave entry.

Hence I suggested to obtain the parchi on line by visiting and registering at the site I mentioned in my erlier posting. There are 1000 quota per day. The charge is nominal Rs 50 per head. Children below 10 years are free. This money you have to give on line through Citi bank gate way by master or visa card.You have to take the prinout of the parchi and transaction details. With these paper you can go directly to Banganga check post and enter the gate for yatra. You will get bag full of prasad at the Bhawan at top against the on line ticket. This on line parchi you can have 30 days prior to your Yatra date.

You will get entry through Army gate. The queue will be very small. In peak May it took me less than 15 minutes in the queue.

Hope the above details will clarify your queries. Any further queries are also welcome

Thanks Abhijeet for the details. I visit the holy shrine on off season & so did not face any problem. Thanx for the clarification.

abhijit thanks for the valueable info. But are you sure that these 1000 pilgrims are entered to army gate only. please confirm.

Mk

Abhijit

Thank you for your informative post on Vaishno Devi.

Before this I never knew that you can also reach there by helicopter! Good to know about it.

Mercurie.

I booked my parchi and I booked many parchis for my friends. All f them entered through Army gate. I have never seen 1000 quota exhausted as many people do not know. I thing all the 1000 can go through Army gate. 1000 people in 24 hrs is nothing.