Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Dino

Mandu - Peace, Quiet and History

Just thoght I'd put in a good word for Mandu as a terrific destination.Whilst a little off the usual well-worn routes this probably explains in part the incedible peace and quiet that can be found here whilst wandering about the ruins,some of which are still amazingly intact.One can easily spend the best part of a day exploring the Royal Enclave group , let alone some of the other fascinating sites dotted about the hilltop.

The village is very laid back and only basic supplies can be obtained here.There were no money changing facilities when we were there in November last year and as we decided to stay longer then we planned (be warned) I had to hire a local guy to drive me to Dhar and back which was a three hour round journey on a terrible road.The only bank in Dhar wouldn't change Treveller Cheques but did have an ATM that worked.The moral being take plenty of cash!

A positive of the trip was I got to know and like the driver who turned out to be an excellent guide for the area and his car and services were duly hired for a fee that we were both happy with.He also took it upon himself to sing (beautifuly) on a few occassions when the accoustics in those ancient buildings were favourable.A stark contrast to the latest Bollywood soundtracks blaring from his car stereo in-between sites.If you visit and want the services of a guide I can highly reccommend him.Just ask for Vishwas at the Shivani Restaurant.

Speaking of the Shivani Restaurant I'd also like to reccommend the food and service at this place.It is a very friendly place with great veg dishes and the guys didn't mind rustling up a cold beer to have with our meal.We stayed at the Tourist Cottages which is in a really nice spot with nice cottages (Number 22 on the Mandu LP map).The Manager was very friendly and helpful.We only had one meal in the restaurant there and rather then badmouth it I'll say nothing.Thank goodness for the Shivani!

The nearest larger city is Indore and a bus service runs to Mandu from there.I'm not sure,but you might have to change at Dhar.We travelled up from Aurangabad by car and didn't make it in one day mainly due to trying to fit a visit to Ajanta in on the way.

As I've said we stayed longer then planned in Mandu and to be honest could have stayed there another week.At least long enough to work our way through the whole menu at the Shivani.Mandu is not a party destination,more a place to recharge the batteries and interact with friendly and genuine locals.And of course there is all that wonderful Afghan architecture with it's history resonating from every brick to be absorbed.

Mandu, oh yes you remind of my trip to Mandu a couple of years ago. Its a fantastic place, very much historical and the monuments there still tell the stories.

Its one of my all time favourite places and I am intending to go there for a day’s trip this year. It looks beautiful in monsoon though, with lots of mountainous beauty and waterfalls on the way to Mandu.

Facilities are lacking, but improving now.

A must visit place for anyone visiting Madhya Pradesh (Indore, Ujjain, Omrakeshwar etc.).

Mercurie.

thanks dino. mandu has been a place i've wanted to visit since I heard about the architecture, and it's on the itinerary for a trip i'm planning late next year.

are you going to be posting photos?

[quote name='cyberhippie' post='7750' date='Jun 12 2006, 02:17 PM']Here's a link to a few snaps I took a couple of years back!! [url="http://goneindia1.photosite.com/Album2/"]Mandu[/url][/quote]

CH

Nice photos. :D

Merc.

Yes iwanttogoback , I will post some photos of Mandu.I've just got to work out what size fits (pixels etc) as I'll need to downsize them for here.I think you'll love it in Mandu.It's very different to anywhere else I've visited in India and was well worth the time getting there.

Great photos CH !