Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
TracyB

Sending Beedis From Goa To Canada...

:D I am almost out of the beedis that I brought back from Goa...So I am planning on sending my friend in Goa some money in hopes that he will send me a few cartons of beedis back to Canada..Do you think it will be a problem for him to send beedis in the mail?...Anybody done this?...I know...I shouldn't be smoking those darn things..but they go so good with a drink :rolleyes:

[quote name='GoanCanuck' post='7575' date='Jun 9 2006, 09:33 PM']No need to get them from Goa. They are available in Vancouver.[/quote]

Where do u get them in Vancouver? We used to buy them in Edmonton, but can no longer find them..How much are they?..Thanks.. :rolleyes: Maybe you will be sending me some!! lol Edited by TracyB

I don’t know about Canada, but in the UK, there is duty and VAT to pay on cigarettes sent through the post from India.

A carton of 200 cigarettes that costs Rs.600/- in India attracts a total tax bill of Rs.2765/- when they arrive in the UK.

This makes a total of Rs.3365/- which still makes them Rs.868.87 cheaper than if bought in the UK – but if you add on the cost of postage, it really isn’t worthwhile.

If the cigarettes are sent by courier, not only will the postage cost more, but you will almost certainly have to pay the tax AND the courier's fee for collecting the tax on behalf of the government of around Rs.850/- :rolleyes:

However, if you send them by normal India Post, you may find that Customs does not have the time to open every small packet that arrives in the country, and the chances are that you will not be asked to pay the tax :D

[quote name='TracyB' post='7574' date='Jun 9 2006, 07:42 PM']:party: I am almost out of the beedis that I brought back from Goa...So I am planning on sending my friend in Goa some money in hopes that he will send me a few cartons of beedis back to Canada..Do you think it will be a problem for him to send beedis in the mail?...Anybody done this?...I know...I shouldn't be smoking those darn things..but they go so good with a drink :crying:[/quote]

I mailed beedis from India to Edmonton in a package with some other stuff. The package had been opened and inspected but I was not charged any tax.