Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
justmakebelieve

Need Passport At All Times?

I'm heading to Nepal after India, and Tibet from there. I know it can take 5 days to get the visa/permit for Tibet I want to use the 5 days productively - go to Chitwan or somewhere - is it ok to travel round Nepal without my passport?

[quote name='justmakebelieve' post='6931' date='Jun 4 2006, 04:49 PM']I'm heading to Nepal after India, and Tibet from there. I know it can take 5 days to get the visa/permit for Tibet I want to use the 5 days productively - go to Chitwan or somewhere - is it ok to travel round Nepal without my passport?[/quote]

You might consider carrying a photocopy of your passport if it's going to be sitting in some visa office for a week.

[quote name='WonderWomanUSA' post='6935' date='Jun 5 2006, 04:42 AM']You might consider carrying a photocopy of your passport if it's going to be sitting in some visa office for a week.[/quote]

Yea, I was planning on doing that, I try to always have a photocopy on me whilst I'm travelling. Was wondering whether you need passport for guesthouses etc, I know in places I've travelled in the past, not having your passport can lead to major hassle with the police

I just traveled through KTM valley without a passport on my person(locked in my bag at the guesthouse) - my Nepali friend said there is no law that demands you carry ID. The only problem I could see is if you check into a hotel or guest house, also if the following happens to you as it did to me: I go to an ATM on Tridevi Marg intending to withdraw Rs 40K, check my balance, find out the machine will only let you take out Rs 10K at a time, take the balance inquiry receipt and move along to another ATM which will allow me to take out more. The machine proceeds to eat my card and instead of prompting me to enter my PIN starts running Windows 98(!)... I call the mobile number given for the service guy, who arrives, goes around back, gets my card and asks me for some ID so he knows it's my card - if I hadn't kept the receipt from my prior balance inquiry with my account # on it I would have had no way of proving it was my card.