Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
elijahmo

Mamallapuram Beach

Hey guys,

I am still planning my trip ton India. I know I have two weeks in the South of India in June, which I am aware is monsoon. Has anyone been over to Tamil nadu around this time of year. I was thinking of seeing Periyar, cochin, backweater trip etc in kerala for around 8-9 days and then head over to Mamallpauram for nice beach time for a few days.

Is Mamallapuram a nice beach? I have heard mixed reports and can find few pics on the internet. I've heard sewage problems and people using the beach as a public toilet, however, maybe I just have to be prepared for this on first trip to India.

So basically just wondering if a few days in June chilling, swimmming aroun Mamallapuram beach is a good aidea. Can anyone recommend nice double room near beach for around 1200 rupees a night.

Cheers guys

Hi and welcome to the India tree!!

The beach at mahabs right out front of the tourist ghetto is no doubt about it filthy as an open sewer deposits sewage into a natural basin formed in the sand, as such this beach isn't very appealing!

To the south of the shore temple the beach was untidy but I wouldn't say filthy, the best beaches apparently lie to the North of the Temple, I never visited these, preffering just to hang around town, since the seas were pretty rough at the time!!

As I've already told you I stayed at the Vineyak Cottages and was more than happy with the rooms and the peace and quiet.
They had just built new rooms when I was there four years ago, they were spacious clean and modern with their own little terrace!!
Mahabs provides hotel rooms for every pocket so just book in somewhere initially then take a wnder around this small village and see what suit you and your budget!!

Further south heading towards Pondicherry are numerous little beach resorts, I personally loved the Beach near to Auroville but I'm not sure what the accommodation is like there. When I was there it was just a few simple beach shacks and one or two budget hotels!! Things may have changed!!

Mahaballipuram is a great place to eat with all cuisines on offer, try a "meals" place for authentic Tamil food at a very cheap price it's MMmmm and not too "chilly hot"

I hope that helps please get back to us if you need anymore info we're happy to help :) :)

Hi
As chippy mentioned north of sea shore temple if you walk little you find decent beach.
last month I saw sunbathing tourist too :)
Near bear I have seen rooms are available board small hotel:(forget name.
Radz

[quote name='elijahmo' post='6393' date='May 31 2006, 02:42 PM']Hey guys,

I am still planning my trip ton India. I know I have two weeks in the South of India in June, which I am aware is monsoon. Has anyone been over to Tamil nadu around this time of year. I was thinking of seeing Periyar, cochin, backweater trip etc in kerala for around 8-9 days and then head over to Mamallpauram for nice beach time for a few days.

Is Mamallapuram a nice beach? I have heard mixed reports and can find few pics on the internet. I've heard sewage problems and people using the beach as a public toilet, however, maybe I just have to be prepared for this on first trip to India.

So basically just wondering if a few days in June chilling, swimmming aroun Mamallapuram beach is a good aidea. Can anyone recommend nice double room near beach for around 1200 rupees a night.

Cheers guys[/quote]

Mamallapuram Dance Festival is organized at the coastal town of Mamallapuram, situated at a distance of approximately 58 km from the capital city of Chennai. Once the ancient port of Pallavas, the town now plays host to a dance festival that lasts four weeks. Monolithic rock sculptures, cave and stone temples, 7th and 8th century Pallava carvings and amazing beaches make this town a famous tourist attraction. Also, it has been declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
The venue of the festival is the site of 'Arjuna's Penance', a bass-relief sculpted on the face of two enormous adjacent rocks. Participants of the festival include distinguished people from the field of classical dances like Bharat Natyam, Kuchipudi, Kathak, Kathakali, etc.

The Mamallapuram Dance Festival is organized by the Department of Tourism, Government of Tamil Nadu. All the programs of the festival take place in an open-air stage, with the splendid Pallava rock sculptures serving as the backdrop. Apart from the classical performances, one can also see artists performing numerous folk dances. Artists form all over the country come to this town to take part in this amazing dance festival.

This year it is from 28th Dec 2007 to 27th January 2008

Get more detail about this year's [url="http://www.tamilnadutourism.org/Latest-News/Invitation.html"]programme[/url]

The beach at Mahabs is terrible, however if you rent a bike, and follow the coast road north, you can find empty, clean stretches of sand. If you continue north along here, you'll eventually come to a crocadile reserve. I believe there is also a watert-park of some kind out this direction, although we couldn't find it.

There are two in that area. One is MGM and the other is VGP Gloden Beach. VGP does not have a standard water park but MGM is nice. Now people throng MGM rather than VGP. I was there in October.

the beach where the fisher boats are is used by the fishermen as toilet - so better wear shoes when going for a walk along there and forget going for a swim - at least there.
on the other side of the temple its quite ok, if you go a little further away from all the horse-guides and Indian tourists.
any questions about where to go you can always ask Mani in the Gecko café (Othavadai Cross St) - he will help out! And they are serving Indian dishes as well as nice breakfast and delicious fresh pressed juices there.