Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
dave_is_away

Accommodation In Mettupalayam

Hi all,

We have cut short part of our Kerala trip and are leaving for Ooty tomorrow. We will be spending a night in
Mettupalayam to catch the toy train early in the morning. The Lonely Planet in its wisdom does not include any accommodation for this town (even though many people must have to stay a night to catch the toy train). Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap but clean hotel?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

You could try:

Hotel EMS Mayura,
212 Coimbatore Main Road,
Metupalayam 641301

Tel: 04254 227936, 227937

Comfortable “3 Star” and clean with good food in the restaurant and within walking distance of the railway station (although I don’t recommend walking in this weather!)

I have used their restaurant a few times (they have a booze license), and looked at the rooms, but never stayed!

All the best,

John

Easy one, we arrived in Mettupalayam, staggered off a bus, approached a rickshaw and asked if he knew of any good hotels. The reply was "Hotel, no hotels". Dumbfounded I stepped back and looked up.

Behind him, just opposite the bus station was a line of them. Take your Pick. We stayed in one called Nando's Lodge, cheap, clean and helpful.

Hope this helps :(

Hi Dave,

I looked at the rooms and made a note of the price last time I was there (just in case someone asked)... but I can't remember where the piece of paper is!

I know it was not expensive. I'll take a look in my stack of papers and see if I can find the prices.

Otherwise, you could give them a ring?

All the best,

John

Do you have a booking for the Ooty toy train? If not, book it in advance. Else be at the station EARLY (4:45 Am, buy a ticket and stand at the beginning of the queue of passengers boarding the train.

Beat the crowd!