Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry_Blonde

Taj Mahal

Ok, so what else is there to see in Agra other than the grand ole Taj Mahal the biggest monument ever built for love ahh! Lets share our tips on one of the modern wonders of the world..............

I was quite shocked ;) that you can walk round Agra and not even get a glimpse of where it is until you get through the gate, especially when all my life I had a mental picture of leafy green avenues leading up to it!! We visited there in Oct 05 and went to the Taj to see the sunrise over it. It was really nice to get up before the sun so it was still nice and cool and even managed to beat the crowds and get some nice pics. Then back to the Shanti Lodge to have breakfast and admire it from their roof top.

In the afternoon we drove to the other side of the river and got some equally spectacular pics of the back view.

What are your thoughts on the best time of day to go visit and and why? Has anyone been to visit on one of the moonlight openings? Whilst I enjoyed the place and it was a beautiful sight to see I can't say I would rush back, has anyone here made repeated visits?

Entry cost was RS 500 for non-indians, which even includes a 500ml bottle of water - Is this still the same?

Oh and no tripods allowed! :D

SB
  • Like 1

[quote name='Strawberry_Blonde' post='4280' date='May 16 2006, 07:57 PM']Lets share our tips on one of the modern wonders of the world..............
SB[/quote]

It is closed on Fridays, at least semi-closed during afternoon prayers.
I think the entry cost for non-Indians has increased up to 750INR.

Agra Fort (the Red Fort) is another major site in Agra, but for me the "don't miss" place is Fatehpur Sikri, which is about 35 km from Agra. It's a fascinating and evocative "ghost town" - the former capital of the Mughal Empire before it was moved to Delhi. The carved, red sandstone architecure is wonderful! I have one picture posted in the architecture section of the photo galleries, but that one image hardly does justice to the place. I highly recommend it. Akbar's Tomb, which is not far from Agra is also worth a visit.
  • Like 1

My only visit to the Taj was in 1970, so I expect there's been a lot of change in the area. Have heard that photography is now not allowed inside the mausoleum, and that the crypt is kept locked. Does anyone know if there's now a camera fee charged? Don't think they allow tripods either, but not 100% sure.

In 1970 things were not so strict and I was able to take the attached photo in the crypt. Available light, wide angle lens, steady hand...... :rolleyes: Click !

Wanderer22

The Taj Mahal is a visit cad of Agra, if not of all India. This mausoleum is the testimony of emperor's eternal love for his wife. The Taj Mahal is a complex of buildings and structures. The entrance to the complex in through an ornate gateway with Quranic inscriptions on it. The marble mausoleum contains the tombs of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan and his wife Mumtaz Mahal. The muasoleum is made of white marble with four tall minarets. In addition, the complex includes a mosque and a guest house, "charbagh" style garden and fountains and green spaces. The ticket costs INR700 for a foreinger. It doens't work on Friday.

Working times: Sunrise - Sunset

Night: 8:30 PM - 12:30 AM (on full moon night and 2 days before and after)

Taj Mahal, a castle in the Air spreading the charm and fragrance of what we call pure love, is a majestic monument located in Agra in the Indian State of Uttar Pradesh. Every sing year, millions of tourists flock to witness the unparallel beauty and architecture of this monument.
We, at Perfect Agra Tours present you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit and explore the remarkable beauty and historic importance that Taj Mahal has to offer. Our Same Day Agra Tour by Car is created for people like you who want nothing but a chance to visit the Taj without disturbing their busy schedule. So if it's a day-off or just a weekend, grab the opportunity and book your trip with us.
The tour itinerary goes as follows:

Pick up from Delhi:

Our representative will meet you at Delhi International Airport or your hotel in Delhi, from where we shall drive towards Agra on Yamuna Expressway. In three hours, we shall reach Agra to visit our first destination, the Taj Mahal.
Taj Mahal:

Taj Mahal has been spoken and written about a lot, yet, no words can describe the beauty and historical importance of this magnificent monument. Located beautifully on the banks of River Yamuna, the monument gets its name from the lady it was built for – Mumtaj Mahal. She was the Mughal Queen, known for her stunning beauty. And to honour the true love, her husband Shah Jahan built this monument to dedicate as a symbol of love.
Taj Mahal is a massive monument built in symmetry. It looks identical from all corners and is surrounded by a huge corridor with four minarets on each corner. Located within the Taj Complex are the graves of the King and the Queen, who were buried there as per the last wish of Shah Jahan.
Taj Mahal is important travel destination for many reasons. First, it is one of the finest examples of architecture. Second, it is a dedication of a husband for his wife, thus Taj Mahal is counted as a Symbol of Love. And for these two reasons, the monument is included amongst the 'Seven Wonders of the World'.
Baby Taj:

Yet another architectural marvel is Baby Taj, called so because it's a replica of its bigger version. Baby Taj is the tomb of Itmad-ud-Daula. The monument has its importance for its historical value and stunning architecture.
Lunch:

After visiting these two places, we shall enter the Bon Barbeque Restaurant for a buffet lunch. After lunch, rest for some time before resuming your journey.
Agra Fort:

Next destination in our list is Agra Fort, the Royal Museum of Mughal Empire. Located at a distance of 2.5km from its more popular sister building Taj Mahal, Agra Fort was built as the capital and residence of the Mughal Emperors. One of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Agra Fort was later converted into a museum. It houses innumerable belongings of the erstwhile rulers.
Visit these places and then be prepared for checkout. Our representative will ride you back in a car to Delhi where you will be dropped to your hotel or Indira Gandhi International Airport. Perfect Agra Tours thank you for being a wonderful traveler.

Edited by kk sharma