Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
jyotirmoy

Bringing Your Money

jyotirmoy    31
Here are some of my views on this topic:

Nothing works better than cash!!! Yes very true. USD & Euros are best although Australian$, Canadian$ are good. Cash is easy to loose too. So consider bringing in a modest amount. Exchange some after arrival at any of the State run banks at the airporrt, just enough for say the pre-paid taxi, one night room rent and a bit extra for some eventualities.

Traveller's cheques are no good these days considering the amount you pay to buy as well as to sell them. But these are least prone to be stollen or misused. So consider this for use in emergency & allocate an amount.

ATM cards are definitely the best way. In India ATM's are every where(well not near Khatling glacier tho) so you can easily draw cash. Do check your bank about the charges levied on transactions. Many banks levy a fixed amount regardless of the amount being withdrawn so in that case avoid frequent withdrawls of small amounts.VISA ELECTRON & Mastercard seem to be most popular.

Credit Cards are definitely very good. In India in the cities & towns credit cards are accepted at most mid level to top level establishments. So use credit cards as much as possible & earn rewards point. Imagine a month or so later you are looking at how little u had paid for a candle lit dinner !!!

Please do not fall for guys offering you higher exchange rate than official. Remember if you are swindled you cant call the cops so stay away from such rackets... its simply not worth the risk.

HowieUK    0
For Members from the UK, The Nationwide, Flex Account, Debit card allows free withdrawals in any country. You can open an account with them purely to use for withdrawing money when you are out of the UK. The money comes straight out of the account so you must have the funds in the account in the UK!

This is different than using the Nationwide Classic Visa card that works like other visa cards where you use it and then pay later. If you withdraw money abroad with any Visa/Mastercard high charges will result!

Howie

Neil Hedge    1
[quote name='jyotirmoy' post='3625' date='May 14 2006, 08:30 AM']Nothing works better than cash!!! Yes very true. USD & Euros are best although Australian$, Canadian$ are good. .[/quote]

UK pound notes are accepted/exchanged everywhere too,,,,,,,,,,

HowieUK    0
I cannot remember fully, but I know that I have a four figure PIN!

What I did was change my PIN at a Nationwide ATM to a number I could remember which had four numbers in it!

Try that (the 6 number one you have maybe for activation purposes only) and if you cannot change it to four numbers go inside and ask them

Howie

Serena    0
I have never used travellers cheques in my travel.... simply don't understand them! Cash is better for me because you can change everywhere and in these days credit card for emergencies is good.

vistet    0
[quote name='jyotirmoy' post='3625' date='May 14 2006, 09:30 AM']Traveller's cheques are no good these days considering the amount you pay to buy as well as to sell them. But these are least prone to be stollen or misused. So consider this for use in emergency & allocate an amount.[/quote]

I had a first last year : went in to a large bank in Simla, and they said flat no, no TC whatsoever. SBI took them instead.
I use two ATM cards, some cash and TC. I actually was offered and got to exchange SEK to rupees at the Forex office in Stockholm, still technically illegal methinks.
I also have online access to my bank via a code box ; should that ATM card get lost or stolen I could shift money over to the other card/bank.
ATMs are definitely the easiest , but not infallible : max limits may vary, communication may be broken (had money on the third day of waiting in Leh last September).
Ironically , the first time my ATM card wasn´t working for a couple of hours in Dhasa, it was because my home bank was offline.

I have a First Direct Debit card and pay 9GBP per month for all free international transactions and get good rates when using HSBC cashpoints + other goodies such as phone insurance etc.

Taking more than one card is always a bonus as I have snapped a few when sitting on them in rickshaws and its pain waiting for a new one!

I also have an Indian HSBC account which has a 6 digit pin No so I don't think the Nationwide will give you any problems!

SB

larki    0
bloodypeasant, can americans get this nationwide flex account???

Maybe I should not bring TC then and just some cash and ATM card, and Credit card?

I will be there for 3 months will that be ok??

Guest yogagal   
Guest yogagal
larki, forget travelers checks. just bring cash, an ATM card, and a credit card.