Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
SHIMLA

MYANMAR

As far as I recollect there is a visa requirement. I would imagine visa are easily obtained??

got the visa in bkk.arranged by a travel agency for just a little more money...

(it s easier and hassle free)

calculate some extra time for the visa!!!

I got mine at 4 pm,my flight was at 6.15 pm

so I nearly missed my flight

safety and security is the last thing that is bothering me :)
actually I was doing some teaching assistant jobs and had to correct a lot of assignments on myanmar; architectural assignments. and whatever vague plans I had earlier became more concrete after seeing all the images of bagan and mandalay. so now I am thinking of cambodia-thailand-myanmar. my only constraints are time and money. so once I get around that, nothing is going to stop me from going to myanmar :)

I will try to get the visa here in singapore and if it doesnt work out, I might get it done in bangkok. actually, as of now I am not planning to visit thailand :o my logic for that is, if I fall short of time, I would prefer to see myanmar and cambodia rather than thailand. I feel that I can always visit thailand from India- there seem to be periodic cheap offers for bangkok from India.

maybe I will ask more questions when I know exactly what I want to do!

thanks for all the help

kashi

Cambodia and Angor Wat and then there is Vietnam. So much to see. I agree, if I copuld only do one I would do Myanmar. In fact besides Turkey it is on my MUST do list before I die.

I hope and plan for 2007. I am now thinking of starting in Delhi and then seeing some of Northern India and then hoppin over to Myanmar.

It seems by about the 3rd month though, I am pretty tired and want to come home for awhile. So I have to think about it some more.

Then it could be really nice to just lounge out at some beach in Myanmar, to recoup from the travelling! :)

[quote name='BlueRose' post='2085' date='May 10 2006, 08:50 AM']Cambodia and Angor Wat and then there is Vietnam. So much to see. I agree, if I copuld only do one I would do Myanmar. In fact besides Turkey it is on my MUST do list before I die.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more. I visited Vietnam in may2005, Turkey in june2005, sumatra in december2005 and now hopefully cambodia + myanmar in june 2006 :) all places are must see!

Just like to add my vote on Myanmar as a fantastic destination.We went late last year and will definitely be returning at some stage.Whenever possible we were able to put a few dollars directly into the hands of the long suffering local people.On the whole the Burmese people were warm and friendly and we always felt safe and welcome.Some of our favourite places were;

Mandalay-Especially the nearby Ancient cities.
Bagan-One of the main highlights of our four months in Asia.The ferry ride there from Mandalay was also very enjoyable.
Inle Lake-We happened to be there (purely through luck) on the last day of the Phaung Daw U festival and got caught up in the ceremonial boat procession to return three Buddhist statues to their temple after visiting various villages around the lake.Then there were villages competing in boat races utilising the famous leg-rowing technique.The races were very competitive and the crowds were huge.If you could time a visit to Inle for the festival I'd highly recommend it.It takes place on the full moon of Thadingyut which is around September/October.

Also the train trip from Thazi to Taunggyi whilst slow was a really nice trip passing through small villages.On the subject of trains another nice journey was from Lashio to Pyin U Lwin where at one point you cross the spectacular Gokteik Viaduct at an absolute snail's pace.

Yangon was an absolutely beautiful city and part of the reason we wish to return is to spend more time there and also to explore the west coast which we missed this time.Political issues aside,Myanmar has to be one of the loveliest destinations around and the people the friendliest.

My husband often says that his most favourite place he has visited is Burma back in 1985,we hope to get back there in the next year or so.