Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
malkers

Using This Forum

Dear Forum Members

All of us are trying to get used to this new software and slowly figuring it out but I realise that some of us may never work out what all the bells and buttons are for so I will start this thread with a tip or two about the functions and see how it goes.

I'll leave the thread open for responses but please only respond with actual tips and not with "Oh thats Fantastic" otherwise it will make this thread difficult to read, those posts will be removed. If you wish to ask how to do something then please ask in one of the other posts and someone will answer you there!

First tip of the day!

[color="#FF0000"]HOW TO MINIMISE YOUR VIEWING PAGE[/color]
Ok, if you look at the main forum page you will see it is split into 3 main sections GENERAL BOARD DISCUSSIONS, DESTINATIONS & BOARD STATISTICS . On the same line as these titles on the opposite side of your screen you will notice a little minus button, if you click on this it will collapse that particular area and just leave a single line there with a plus button for you to open it back up again!

So, if you don't ever wish to look at General Discussions or the other two titles then you don't have to and this will reduce the size of your viewing screen and will remain like this until you change it back even if you log out and log in again, a handy tool!

You cannot however collapse the Random Photo gallery, this will always remain!

More later!

Thanks
Malc

Guest IVAN
I just found out that there is a feature similar to the "last thread" one, I was asking for.

When one clicks the "today's active topics" on the main forum's page (first line under the title of "board statistics"), the page that opens has an option " Get active topics for:" at the bottom right.

One can set it to display one week, two weeks, a month, three months and a year.

Bookmarking seems to work. I tried to bookmark the "one month" list.
[url="http://www.gourmetindia.com/travel/index.php?act=Search&nav=lv&CODE=show&searchid=cc9f013e9ca8b03568b2ecaf62cb3739&search_in=topics&result_type=topics&lastdate=2419200"]LINK[/url]

Will it produce a list longer for one day each day, remains to be seen as the URL seems to contain some starting date. Too early to determine for the monthly list, and even for the weekly list bookmark.

[color="#FF0000"]USING THE CALENDAR[/color]

Ok this is a handy option and one we would encourage you to use and fill up with things like Indian national holidays, any kind of events like music or cultural events, basically anything that is properly related to India.

For obvious reasons we don't want you to put up your cats birthday or an event elsewhere in the world that has nothing to do with India so for that reason all calendar posts have to be approved by a moderator before they can be seen by the public domain!

Here is what you do. Click on the Calendar button in the top right hand corner of your screen. You are now in the calendar and can see all the dates entered for the current month.

To post a new date simply scroll down to the bottom right corner of your screen. Here you have 3 choices, Add Single Event, Add Ranging Event or Add Recurring Event. A single event is simply a one off like Rolling Stones in Bangalore on 25th May for instance as it is highly unlikely that they'll arrive on the same date the following year (well, nor this year come to that :) ). A ranging event is one that spreads across more than one date say from 25th - 28th May. A recurring event is something that is exactly the same date each year and never changes, like a birthday for instance, many Indian holidays are on different dates each year so although they kind of recur, they are not date specific and will have to be entered manually.

Please be as specific as you can in your title ie: not, Rolling Stones in Concert but Rolling Stones in Bangalore, this will help a user make a better decision and save wasting their time. Then you can fill out the message to give full details, links to websites or whatever.

You can also use this as your on personal calendar which is not viewable by another member simply by selecting 'Personal Event' in the drop down menu, put as many pets birthdays as you like in this example :D

Currently we don't have an autmatic system for the mods to know when there is a pending calendar entry there so please advise a mod of your entry so that we can get useful events up and in the public domain quickly!

Could our small team of mods please look in calendar each day and approve or disapprove the pending entries until we sort out the notification system!

Please go fill the calendar as much as you can folks, this is a really useful feature!!

Thanks
Malc

Guest IVAN
I tried the link in my last post, the one giving the active topics for the last month.
Unfortunately it didn't work and gave me ans rror message.
It worked the day I posted it, but it seems that it doesnt the subsequent days.

Here is the link for the last posts in the week: [url="http://www.gourmetindia.com/travel/index.php?act=Search&nav=lv&CODE=show&searchid=4f3dbcce593f6ac04da4a8a2f56cfe66&search_in=topics&result_type=topics&lastdate=604800"]ONE WEEK[/url]

But I guess that it will not work tomorrow.

If not, the only solution is to access these searches from the main forum page, like described in the previous post. Edited by IVAN

I can't understand this new thing about the posts to be "controlled" by moderators......????????????

I tried to post in a thread and I got this message and my post doesn't appear......... Edited by Serena

Hi,

The posts aren't controlled by anyone apart from the members who post them!

The moderators are simply volunteer editors who make sure that the posts are in the correct section and do what any editor does to keep the site readable.

So, if you find that your spelling has been corrected or your post about air travel has been moved from the Meals, Tiffin & Chai into Air Travel - you've been moderated!

All News and Calendar items are checked before being posted on the site, but everything else appears immediately the Member presses the Add Reply button. :rolleyes:

Have fun!

John

Now I understand Johh!!!!
I have posted a reply in a "News" thread!!! That's why I got the message!!!
Sorry.........

Why are my posts being being reviewed by a moderator when I am responding to an already existing thread??

Hi Casey,

Was this a News item? If not, then there is a bug in the system which I will look at for you if you send me a Private Message with the details of your post.

Only News and Calendar items are checked before being posted on the site, but everything else should appear immediately the you press the Add Reply button.

Best wishes,

John