Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
fromusawithluv

Book Recommendations!

Tell us what you have read, reading, planning to read and whether you would recommend them.

IM has some GREAT great archived posts, so I consider this thread as a continuation.

Just finished reading:

Meditation: The First and Last Freedom (A Practical Guide to Meditation) – OSHO. This book has many different methods of meditating. You can randomly open the book to any one according to what appeals to you.

Nature Cure for Common Diseases - Vithaldas Modi - a reference for practicing naturapathy. I believe Mahatma Gandhi was heavily involved with naturapathy with his own experiences and experiments.

Currently reading:

May You be the Mother of a Hundred Sons – Elisabeth Bumiller – just started it…it’s about a journalist traveling in India, writing about women in India. a travelogue! So far, so good! still reading it...

Hindi For Non-Hindi Speaking People – Kavita Kumar – VERY GOOD BOOK! This book is easy to follow. Highly recommend it anyone interested in learning the language, as it teaches grammar, vocabulary, and has different types of literature in the back to practice reading (e.g. recipes to letters)

Will read:

The Zahir – Paul Coehlo (loved The Alchemist!!)

Kalki series – Ponniyin Selvan – translated by C.V. Karthik Narayanan

The Red Carpet - Lavanya Sankaran

Freakonomics : A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything – Steven D. Levitt

Women Who Run with the Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Phd Estes

will have to check out your recommendations too! I love this forum!!

Past Reads that I would recommend:

Lord of the Rings – Tolkien – Beautiful! Even more beautiful, as I was listening to the movie soundtrack while reading!

The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini – Very emotional, touching, funny, devastating, and realistic. Highly recommend it!

The Princess – Jean Sasson – I found this book in the feminist section at the Landmark. There are reasons why it was probably in that section justifiably. This book is the first of (3) in the series about the life (behind the curtains so to speak) of Saudi Arabian women – specially of the Royal Family. Although, it’s a fiction, the facts pertain to real events. There is even a time line in the appendix detailing the history of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It even accounts the relationship between O.B. laden and the royal family. Very chilling to still think about it. Highly recommend this book too! I have yet to read the 2nd and 3rd book: Daughters of Arabia and Desert Royal, respectively.

Iyer Weddings -P.K. Ravindranath - Gorgeous illustrations of a typical Iyer wedding from beginning to end. It goes into depth why certain rituals are still practiced, what the meanings are of each of them. Lovely!

Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger – Classic!!

King of Torts, A Time to Kill - John Grisham: Both good reads! A Time to Kill..literally took a time to kill! That book was a bit boring right after the beginning with emphasis in a lot of details..I wanted to read a “fast” read when I first got it… Then it got really good in the middle and end! Still haven’t seen the movie!

All of the Alex Cross series of James Patterson (well, except I haven’t read his newest one just out) – his books are fast reads and thrillers!

Memoirs of a Geisha –Arthur Golden- LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT!! I read it several years ago, and I wouldn’t mind reading it over again. Highly recommend it! I think the movie just came out.

The Namesake – Jhumpa Lahiri – Very good read!

Fasting, Feasting – Anita Desai – Great Read! Almost makes you want to shake one of the characters to do something to change her destined life!!

You Can Heal Your Life – Louise L. Hay – A great self-help book! A reference to take with you on your travels!

1) My alltime favorite: Salman Rushdie's MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN
2) Always intelligent and very funny: T.C. Boyle's DROP CITY
3) Passionate storytelling: John Irving's A SON OF THE CIRCUS

reading three simultaneously ~

[url="http://www.indiadefence.com/opsec.htm"]Open Secrets - India's Intelligence Unveiled By Maloy Krishna Dhar[/url]

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143031392/104-4819152-2919138?v=glance&n=283155"]Rude Food - Collected Food Writings of Vir Sanghvi[/url]

[url="http://www.indiaclub.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=1372"]Awaken Bharata - A Call for India's Rebirth By David Frawley (Vamdeva Shastry)[/url]

just finished

[url="http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/season2004/news/book.htm"]A Carnatic Summer - Lives of Twenty Great Exponents By V Sriram[/url]

good book with interesting tidbits about musicians in the carnatic music genre

next in line!

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8172233558/qid=1146736508/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/104-4819152-2919138?s=books&v=glance&n=283155"]Eminent Historians - Their Line, Their Fraud By Arun Shourie[/url]

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/8179912019/qid=1146736991/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_0_5/026-9281441-6846041"]Indian Muslims: Where have they gone wrong By Rafiq Zakaria[/url]

Hei GC
how r u
good to see you here too
I want able to read ur last 2 messages as the site closed down before I could read them
ru in Mumbai ..........r u coming to IM/CS meet on 6th may

Vikram Seth never fails to entertain me. His newest book, TWO LIVES, is a double biography of the uncle and auntie with whom he spent holidays while in school in England. I was hoping this would be another book about India, but in fact, it's about World War II and not at all fiction. A very interesting and powerful book!

Another new-ish book I liked was THE HUNGRY TIDE by Amitav Ghosh. It takes place in the Sundarbans and is so well written...

A few of my favorite books

1) Wheel of time Series by Robert Jordan

2) Malazan Book of the Fallen Series by Steven Erikson

3) Song of Ice and Fire Series by G R R Martin

4) Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist

5) Icewind Dale Trilogy by R A Salvatore

6) Shannara Series by Terry Brooks

Currently Reading
The Shadow Matrix ( Darkover Series ) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

[quote name='WonderWomanUSA' post='536' date='May 5 2006, 04:48 AM']Vikram Seth never fails to entertain me. His newest book, TWO LIVES, is a double biography of the uncle and auntie with whom he spent holidays while in school in England. I was hoping this would be another book about India, but in fact, it's about World War II and not at all fiction. A very interesting and powerful book!

Another new-ish book I liked was THE HUNGRY TIDE by Amitav Ghosh. It takes place in the Sundarbans and is so well written...[/quote]

I bought THE HUNGRY TIDE at the airport before flying out to India last December. We were staying in Kolkata and the, a couple of days after my finishing the book, we took the train down to Canning and hired a boatman to take us out on the river for a couple of hours. It completely blew me away - both the book and the trip. Poor Mr Judi wondered why I was so quiet on the boat trip ....... little did he know I was re-living complete scenes from The Hungry Tide in my thoughts!

The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh is so well researched and written that it is worth the time it takes to get into it. It started off slow and just reeled me in, like a good book should!

Calcutta Chromosome by Amitav Ghosh is a well written mystery (sort of) and a conspiricy lovers dream.

Number 9 Dream, Cloud Atlas, Ghostwritten all by David Mitchell, although not for those who like a straightforward narrative. I loved them all.

[quote name='WonderWomanUSA' post='536' date='May 5 2006, 04:48 AM']Vikram Seth never fails to entertain me. His newest book, TWO LIVES, is a double biography of the uncle and auntie with whom he spent holidays while in school in England. I was hoping this would be another book about India, but in fact, it's about World War II and not at all fiction. A very interesting and powerful book!

Another new-ish book I liked was THE HUNGRY TIDE by Amitav Ghosh. It takes place in the Sundarbans and is so well written...[/quote]

I bought THE HUNGRY TIDE at the airport before flying out to India last December. We were staying in Kolkata and the, a couple of days after my finishing the book, we took the train down to Canning and hired a boatman to take us out on the river for a couple of hours. It completely blew me away - both the book and the trip. Poor Mr Judi wondered why I was so quiet on the boat trip ....... little did he know I was re-living complete scenes from The Hungry Tide in my thoughts!