Gourmet India

3 years and 37 days

[attachment=5120:WP_20140313_003.jpg]

What has 3 years and 37 days got to do with a restaurant menu? Incidentally, a whole lot, if you are talking about Maharaja Bhog. My last conversation with Suresh made me want to try this restaurant. So, when my colleague suggested we have dinner at this place, I jumped at the opportunity.

Comparisons with Rajdhani are inevitable, given the experience they both try to create. Started in 2011, Maharaja Bhog serves Rajasthani/Gujarati food and takes vegetarian food to new heights. The ambience in the restaurant is very much like its older competitor, Rajdhani, but with a modern touch. One of the walls which has been converted into a huge showcase for spices, makes you look at it again and again. The area is brightly lit and seating spaces closely stacked. Waiters run around at breakneck speed, talking to each other with their five fingers gestures, while their eyes are attentive to customer’s requests. In short; no nonsense and efficient service. Where Maharaja Bhog scores over Rajdhani, is the food. The menu has everything going for it. The food has that extra zing, which rajdhani had begun to lose. The flavours are more engaging, colors more vibrant and textures, crispier.

From the time you enter, the restaurant makes sure that you are looked after in the best way possible, and it lasts till you have stepped out. The moment we were seated, a person of the waitstaff came to us with warm water to wash our hands before the meal. While the food was being served, Mr. Nandkishore Maheshwari  (Director, Maharaja Bhog) himself explained exactly how to begin the meal.

“In teeno pe nimbu nichodiyega, is ko chutney ke saath aur baaki sab saada”

(Translation: squeeze the lime on these three, eat this with the chutney and the rest just as it is).

Needless to say, the lime did work wonders. On his next visit to our table, we began chatting, and Nandkishore ji narrated the story of Maharaja Bhog and his passion for Indian vegetarian food. When you talk to him, it makes you realize, why such a huge population in india does not miss a thing, despite being vegetarian. At the end of the meal, we were groaning with an over-stuffed tummy and a wide happy smiles on both of our faces. With 25 different items on a thali it is not required to repeat a dish; but then again if you haven’t repeated some orders, wouldn’t it be an injustice to the best of the lot? The manwaar (a respectful coax to eat), isn't what you would find in homes or even the likes of chokhi dhani, but it does its job of creating the experience.

The star picks of the day, which were repeated a number of times were, lahsun kachori and cherry halwa, both lip smacking delicacies. Not to forget, the fennel sherbet.

Food – 4/5

Service – 4/5

Ambience – 3/5

And by the way, before I forget, Maharaja Bhog has enough recipes with them that it is only once in 3 years and 37 days, that they have to repeat the same menu.

Edited by Suresh Hinduja
  • Like 4

Glad to know that you also felt the same.

Here's my review as it appeared in Bangalore Times.

[attachment=5121:SnipImage.JPG]

• Like 2

The whole Nine yards. Incredible India! The Maharaja Bhog Thali!

gallery_1_3_245467.jpg

• Like 3

WOW! Suresh, I have warned the husband that we'll have a thali when in India... This seems perfect!

• Like 2

Sirji, that photo is incredible!

BTW are you in Mumbai or Bangalore ?

• Like 1

Arre! Bangalore baba. Fotu  is from Maharaja Bhog at Lavelle road. Had recommended it to Neeraj who now lives in Bombay and he went to the one there. :-)

• Like 2

Hey Bhagwan! After having this MahaThali, forget the kingdom the Maharaja will not even be able to attend to his Maharani!

• Like 3

Wah...thali bhajaye ye .

This one is next on my list to try .... any suggestions SH ?

• Like 2

I was really disappointed with the food quality  & service of maharaja bhog lower parel ( Dt.15.04.2018 ).

1) I felt as if I was been cheated by ishwar  for the offer 10+1( free ) as on standee it was not written that not valid on week end nor any condition applied. Nor he gave us any book .

2) after having this food my nephew got food poison .

3) they were serving the food as if they r doing a favor to us .

4) I had email this, So in respond Mr.deepak & ishwar had call me to say sorry.

5) Mr.Deepak said he would refund , but need some time as MD is traveling .

6) when 2day I call him, he is clearly saying no for refund . I was surprise what going on .

I had never ask for refund he was the one who had offer me for refund . now he is saying NO No No .

ITS NOT A MATTER OF REFUND , ITS ALL ABOUT COMMITMENT .

I request the Director( Ashish Maheshwari  , AJAY BASANT TAPARIA  ,  NANDKISHORE AMARCHAND MAHESHWARI )  to have look at this ur this property.

Edited by chirag shah