Gourmet India

I had to go and find out if a piece of Bangalore's history existed in some form, I needed to known if I could relive a portion of my past once again. Headed over to the junction of Residency road and Brigade road couple of days back and voila .....I saw it, a faint sign of hope, a hope that only grew as I got closer to it, a big banner on St Patrick's complex mentioning New Indiana Whooper burgers now available. I was ecstatic, and it sounded like the chocolate room had saved up some of the past!

As I got closer, I realized there was never an Indiana whooper burger, so did they really save anything at all or was this just to pull the old crowd into a new place? As I climbed the stars to the first floor I saw another board mentioning "New Indiana" on a paper board, it started to feel as if this was a conspiracy to hold on to a generation of faithful Indiana followers to something new.

I headed into the Chocolate room, a stark contrast from what Indiana's used to be, this new place was fancy and modern, not something my brain and taste buds could comprehend when one was thinking of eating a burger and the other trying to salivate! I was so used to the good old shack that I refused to believe I could get anything worth while from this new....modern Restaurant/café . As I walked in, a server greeted me with a friendly welcome and handed me 3 menus and I recognized the first one. It looked familiar, contrary to what the other two menus were, it looked like something I wanted to order from.

After spending 5 minutes of starting at an all familiar menu that was half a page long, I ordered exactly what I wanted to order, a Hot chicken burger meal (French Fries and Coke added in with the Burger). It started to feel better already, as I read the menu, I realized the old Jumbo Chicken burger was renamed as the Whooper burger. Hoping that this was the only change I waited for my order.
After 5 minutes it arrived. It looked like what I wanted, but some how I was still skeptical, but as he placed the Burger, the french fries, a coke bottle and followed that up with two full bottles one with Mayonnaise and other with Tomato sauce, I wanted to believe, just maybe I could hold on to my past, a past that I had buried and in all ways possible has brushed it off into a corner of my memories that I was sure I couldn't relive.

The Mayonnaise and Tomato Sauce in the background.

I wanted to grab that Burger squeeze that Mayonnaise sauce and take one big bite, but I was playing safe, the mind and not the heart was in control. It couldn't take the shock of what if it weren't the same any more. I suspectfully took the plate of french fries and squeezed the Mayonnaise sauce on the side, the mayo did look like what its always looked like.

I then took a peak at whats inside the burger to check if anything had changed.
It looked like the usual Indiana's burger , Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese (optional), the chicken patty / cutlet and a slice of onion between the bun.

It was time for Judgement day I thought, I took a bite of the french fry dipped into a generous serving of Mayonnaise sauce, and it felt absolutely unchanged , it tasted blissful....I relished that bite, took the burger and held it firmly between my fingers and thumb, while one hand grabbed the Mayo bottle and squeezed that mayo onto the burger and then took that big bite, it felt like nirvana. This burger was unchanged, it tasked fantastic, it smelt exactly like the way it used to and the mayo was absolutely perfect as usual. I was surprised, but I couldn't think any more the heart had taken over, my mouth was relinquishing that flavor, the taste and the experience I believed I had lost for ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed the meal, every 5 mins of it and left nothing on the plate and no trace of the mayo either. It was cleaned up and I was ready for the bill....at Rs 165, absolutely priceless, relived my memories growing up with friends here, it had to be priceless. I was just grateful that the taste and memories remained.... Thank you... and I'm truly sorry, I don't know what your name is Sir, but thank you for creating Indianas and its burger and the mayo.It will forever be relished, remembered and now revisited !

• Like 3

Since a couple of my friends are visiting from the US, took them to Indianas for the infamous Hot Chicken Burger Meal. Although these guys already get to taste the best burgers in the US, the Indiana burger is an integral part of Bangalore culture since the 1980s and I am always worried that this will disappear soon, hence I jump and suggest this place at any given opprtunity to taste the unique burger and mayonnaise sauce.

The Hot Chicken Burger Meal : Background scores Tomato Sauce , Mayonnaise sauce and Coke.

Burger Inside :

Although the resturant is now called the chocolate room, the burgers will always be called Indiana Burgers.

Indiana is dead, Long live Indiana.......

• Like 3

@Chetan -  Good God Chetanji !!! That March post of yours was so emotional! Along with the step by step notes of experience and the escalating gratification, It felt like a meeting of long lost lovers!  just like the green-lit scene in Hitchcock's Vertigo :) I need to check out this yesteryear Bangalore burger, and though I am now ready to accept the supremacy of hamburgers, and I do not have the advantage of your nostalgia,I will anyday check out a chicken burger to see if it spins a different kind of spell. also targetting the samosa of PSC as per your reco, and CTR MD is lined up today! 

• Like 3

From my recent visit to the chocolate shop . Delicious Indianas crispy chicken burger with egg!

Indianas crispy chicken burger with egg & Potato wedges. Background score again Mayonnaise sauce.

• Like 3

Hmmm.... Must check out this place. You are not the only one, there are many fans of Indiana in Bangalore.

• Like 2

So Suresh Bhai, when are you checking Indianas out, and recreating their famous Mayonnaise? The burger at truffles (the old Ice n spicy) on St Martha's road comes a second. May be we should have a burger show down of the top 5 burger experiences in Bangalore.

• Like 1