Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Raunak

Patoler Dolma

This is one of the challenging Bengali delicacies, not cooked for a regular meal but for a special occasion spread. I try to look for the large cylindrical shaped fresh Potol/Parwal ([i][b]Trichosanthes dioica[/b][/i] is also known as the [b]pointed gourd[/b]).

Clean and scrape the skin very lightly with a blunt knife. Cut the ends and scrape out all the seeds and flesh with the back of a tea spoon.

Depending on the filling you choose, Patoler Dolma can be both Non Veg and Veg.
Here are some suggestions of filling

1. Mutton Keema sautéed with Onion, Garlic, Tomatoes, Green Chilies
2. Mashed Boneless Rohu sautéed with Onion, Garlic, Tomatoes, and Green Chilies
3. Small Shrimp (Bengali - Kucho Chingri) sautéed with Onion, Garlic, Tomatoes, and Green Chilies

4. Mashed Potato sautéed with Onion, Garlic, Tomatoes, and Green Chilies
5. Paneer (Chana) Bhurji
6. Khoya and Coconut

Stuff the potols upto its neck tightly with any of the stuffing and fry it in a mixture of refined oil and ghee. To avoid the filling from spilling out while frying, you can close the open sides with the previously sliced portions of the potol ends and fix it with a tooth pick. Fry it in a low flame till it is golden brown. You can serve this as an appetizer.

Alternatively you can make gravy of Onion, Ginger, Tomatoes, Garam Masala, and Hung Curd and simmer the fried stuffed Potols in the gravy.

If you are using filling No. 6, fry the Potols in Ghee lightly and immerse it in boiling sugar syrup and cook for a while till it becomes translucent.
  • Like 3

Jyothi Da...if you happen to visit Bangalore...I will cook this for you. In the meanwhile, I am looking for the right sized Patols to cook this delicacy and post some pics. Without pics this recipe is difficult to emulate.

Thank you so much Raunak bhai for the invite. Yes, a cooking & eating session with you will definitely be a memorable affair[img]http://www.gourmetindia.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]
These days finding the right size & shape is quite difficult. The Potols sold in Delhi are often of a bit roundish type. Cooking the Dolmas in curd based gravy is good but I prefer the fried version, very delicious with ghee-bhat.