Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Suresh Hinduja

Durga Pooja festival in Bangalore

Anadi cabin is in Esplanade in Kolkata and Basanta Cabin is near Hedua lake in north Kolkata. Anadi cabin is/was famous for its Mughlai Parotha but last time I ate there I found the quality to have gone way southwards.
I will write about Basanta Cabin and other cabins of Kolkata in my days. Basanta cabin and its benovelent owner had seen many a romances bloom within the confines of its premises and the owner had attended scores of marriages which resulted out of courtship conducted over tea and snacks at his cabin.

Actually Bahadur Sha Zaffar had no influence on Bengali kitchen. It was the deposed nawab of Awadh Wajid Ali who settled in Metiaburuz area of Kolkata along with his retinue of cooks, poets, dancers, singers from Lucknow. This is the time when Nawabi cooking entered Bengali kitchen. Another two esrtwhile royal families enriched Bengali cuisine. They were the Nawab of Murshidabad and the King of Burdwan. We got exotic recipes for fish from the Burdwan royal family. The day the king of Burdwan was to go to Kolkata and surrender to the British in the afternoon he dictated an ellaborate menu for lunch which had Rohu(River carp) cooked with brinjals.

Sorry to report that the Golbari eatery of Shyambazar has long gone...
Those "rewazi khasi" that you mentioned used to be available in New Market. On Sundays we often went there early to buy prime cuts of this meat of fattened castrated goats/lambs. Edited by jyotirmoy
spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks Jyotirmoy Da for your additional inputs.

You are absolutely correct on Wajad Ali Shah, it was a slip on my side. I can never forget "Satranj ke Khillari" and many other cinematic depictions of the dancing nawab.

Golbari eatery is taken over by a new management and still exists.

In my knowledge "Rewazi Khasi" is best available in Park Circus area, there used to be a shop called "Haji Mastaan".
  • Like 1

I used to go to Haji's shop but discontinued because of the long queue and Haji's foul temper. I haven't been to Kolkata for ages so I am not much aware about recent happenings. Thank you Raunak bhai for letting me know that the Golabari eatery hasn't closed its doors.
Please do post your Kasha Mangsho recipe. Edited by jyotirmoy
  • Like 1

Kasha Mangsho Recipe

Marinate 1 kg mutton in 4 Table spoon (TS) hung curd (nestle or amul full cream curd will work as well), 1 TS of fresh garlic paste and 2 TS ginger paste. Ideally marinate for 4-6 hours in fridge. The best cuts for this dish are boneless cubes of the front legs and thigh.

Use a Kadai or wok with a thicker base and full lid. Roast few cloves, bay leaves, red chilies, green cardamom, inside pulp of black cardamom, black pepper, cumin(1 TS), and coriander(2 TS) in a pan and let it cool for few minutes. Grind them to make a fine powder. Chop 2 large red onions and few garlic cods and fry them in a mix of mustard oil and vanaspati until they turn brown. Add 2 TS of ginger paste, 1 large chopped tomato and stir well. Add the mutton and cook in slow flame. Add half the masala to the mutton and let it cook. Add salt after 30 minutes. The meat will release lot of water depending on the freshness. Add sprinkles of water as needed if the meat gets stuck in the base. Don’t uncover the wok too many times.

After an hour when the oil starts separating, stir well and add the remaining half of the masala. Grind a fresh garam masala with (Shahjeera, samarich, Nutmeg, javitri/ Mace, green cardamom) and add towards the end along with a spoon of desi ghee. You can garnish it with finely chopped coriander and green chilies or fresh whipped cream.
The total cooking time is around 3 hours. If you are using boneless tender meat, the time reduces drastically. Please note the color will turn blackish brown and oil will come floating at the top. Kasha Mangsho tastes best with Pulao, Parathas or Rumali Roti.

I will upload few pics when I cook it the next time.
  • Like 1

Its a simple Tamarind and Sugarcane Jaggery chutney with very few green chilies. As you might know there are 2 kinds of tamarind pulp commonly available in Bengal - Aged and Darker variety (Paka or BuroTentul) and a Younger and Sharper variety (Knacha Tentul). Use the younger variety which is pale brown in colour.

It's that time of the year again.[img]http://www.gourmetindia.com//public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]