Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Suresh Hinduja

Exotic fruits and vegetables

Suresh Hinduja    768

After reading how fruits may benefit by cutting them underwater and I dont mean the the condition that requires a scuba suit; I thought I'd start a topic on fruits and vegetables. In the last few years of free imports, I think I've come across all kinds and more recently this weirdo:

Dragon fruit. It tastes kinda kiwi but with no zing. So what exotic fruit and vegetable have you all come across lately?

dragon.jpg

• Like 2

Suresh Hinduja    768

I've been chucking this in ice creams, jellies, custards,cakes and even a falooda! Will try combining this with lychee juice and vodka.

Passion fruit

passionfruit.jpg

Ash    1

That dragon fruit looks scary but you say it tastes like Kiwi? What does it have inside? I get imported passion fruit sometimes and have always eaten it off the half with a teaspoon. The resemblance to the 'frogs eyes' in a Falooda is uncanny, so I guess it would work well as a sub.   :P

Have you all ever tasted a bel fruit? We make a nice sharbat from it during summer.

Suresh Hinduja    768

Ash, the Dragon fruit tasted like a soapy insipid Kiwi. I had to try it so I paid Rs.150 for one about the size of a large alphonso mango but I doubt if I will buy it again.

There is a round local variety of Passion fruit ( Rs. 20/250g)which is too tarty, useful for making squash and as 'frog eyes'   :P ( Tukmaria seeds) .  Featured in the photo is an import that sells for Rs.100/250g. and is absolutely divine. Which one have you had?

Ah yes, Bel fruit... somebody from Kolkata used to send me some every summer, it used to make a nice musky sharbat.   :P Methinks it will make a delicious sauce for use with grilled chicken.  

Where do you get yours?

Unicorn    0

I don't know if you will term this fruit exotic. I am talking about a 'Pluot'.

A Pluot is what you get when you cross a plum with an apricot.  It tastes a lot like a plum (aloobkhara) with just a hint of an apricot taste.

Its like a blend of fruit juices...like our Mumbai ganga-jamuna!!!

Pluot has a more intense flavor than a regular plum. There are many varieties of pluots available. The one in the pic is the 'apple dandy' kind.

PLU for the plum and OT for the apricot. easy?

So is it the same when you cross an apricot with a plum? No silly. That would be an Aprium. :0

Then we also have the Plumcots.

Pluots have predominantly plum parentage. Plumcots generally have equal parentage of plum and apricot, while Apriums are slightly fuzzy, like apricots, but they have unique flavors and generally higher sugar levels than the standard varieties.

pluot.jpg

• Like 2

Suresh Hinduja    768

Now I've seen it all, you bet this is exotic. Are they very expensive?

Maybe someone will combine my favourite fruits into a Mangochee. :P

Great Picture.

Chef Raj    0

Ah yes, Bel fruit... somebody from Kolkata used to send me some every summer, it used to make a nice musky sharbat.   :P Methinks it will make a delicious sauce for use with grilled chicken.  

Where do you get yours?

Sometimes we get Bel fruit from Khan market in Delhi. I last paid 40 Rs. for a cricket ball size piece. I peel and mash the fruit in drinking water with a little sugar and store in the fridge and drink within 3 days.

Suresh Hinduja    768

I bought some Rambutans @ Rs. 125/500 grams.

Personally I like Lychees better.

rambutan.jpg

Sneha    0

Does Rambutan taste like a Lychee? I found a small chickoo like thing in the market that was identical to a lychee, the fruitwalla was calling it a loongah, I think.