14 replies to this topic

#1 edibleindia.com

edibleindia.com

Founder

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:08 AM

Having shifted to Mysore from Mumbai recently, I find a peculiar problem here. Local bakeries sell "sweet bread" when you ask for ordinary bread. Ordinary bread is called "salt bread" and is available but less frequently and one may need to go and ask at different places. I have seen a number of websites that offer automatic breadmakers, mostly American. there are also Japanese and Chinese brands. Some questions:
1. Are they available in India? Where? costs?
2. Which are the best brands, in terms of usage and sturdiness?
3. Do they run on 220V. What about guarantees/warranties?
4. How good are they in practice? I remember an early "washing machine" that came on the market some thirty years ago that was little more than an asymetrical churning machine. It made damn good lassi but it did nothing much about its primary job of washing clothes! One does not wish to spend money on something inherently useless. Hence the query.

Sharad Bailur

#2 Suresh Hinduja

Suresh Hinduja

Suresh Hinduja

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Interests:food innovation
    golf
    single malt
    author
    consulting chef

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:39 AM

Hi Sharad,
Nice to see you back on the forums. I found an ebay India link to a bread maker @ Rs. 3999. Not sure whether it is a reliable and sturdy device.
Why dont you consider making it in an oven?

bread maker on ebay India

I fry by the heat of my pans
http://www.gourmetindia.com

My Photos

chicken 2014
Album: My Pixels
471 images
79 comments

#3 bague25

bague25

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

Having shifted to Mysore from Mumbai recently, I find a peculiar problem here. Local bakeries sell "sweet bread" when you ask for ordinary bread. Ordinary bread is called "salt bread" and is available but less frequently and one may need to go and ask at different places. I have seen a number of websites that offer automatic breadmakers, mostly American. there are also Japanese and Chinese brands. Some questions:
1. Are they available in India? Where? costs?
2. Which are the best brands, in terms of usage and sturdiness?
3. Do they run on 220V. What about guarantees/warranties?
4. How good are they in practice? I remember an early "washing machine" that came on the market some thirty years ago that was little more than an asymetrical churning machine. It made damn good lassi but it did nothing much about its primary job of washing clothes! One does not wish to spend money on something inherently useless. Hence the query.

Sharad Bailur

Sharad

I live in Europe and use one about twice to three times a week.

Models available in Europe are 220vs.

I find them very good for making everyday bread and milk bread too.

Suresh, the advantage is that you do not have to wait for the bread to rise and knead the dough several times. Just dump all the ingredients in the machine and the dough is kneaded and raised and cooked. Nice Lazy person's solution :)
"Tell me what you eat, I'll tell you who you are" - Jean Anthelme BRILLAT-SAVARIN

#4 Suresh Hinduja

Suresh Hinduja

Suresh Hinduja

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
    golf
    single malt
    author
    consulting chef

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

bague, which one do you recommend? Guess I'm lazy too :)

My Photos

chicken 2014
471 images
79 comments

#5 bague25

bague25

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

bague, which one do you recommend? Guess I'm lazy too Posted Image

Suresh,

I have a basic Domo model (for less than 50€). I really recommend any basic model as you do not make very elaborated breads with a machine. For me, it's just basic white, brown bread and brioches (milk and egg breads).
"Tell me what you eat, I'll tell you who you are" - Jean Anthelme BRILLAT-SAVARIN

#6 Sekhar

Sekhar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Food
    Travel

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

bague, which one do you recommend? Guess I'm lazy too Posted Image

Suresh,

I have a basic Domo model (for less than 50€). I really recommend any basic model as you do not make very elaborated breads with a machine. For me, it's just basic white, brown bread and brioches (milk and egg breads).

The cheapest ones here in the US start at $51.00 and go$215$
automatic bread making machine - Google Product Search

Fotos on flickr

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.  ~Voltaire

#7 Sharad Bailur

Sharad Bailur
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hi Sharad,
Nice to see you back on the forums. I found an ebay India link to a bread maker @ Rs. 3999. Not sure whether it is a reliable and sturdy device.
Why dont you consider making it in an oven?

bread maker on ebay India

#8 Sharad Bailur

Sharad Bailur
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Suresh. It really has been a long time. Meanwhile I moved out of (retired) from Reliance Energy and moved from Bandra to my own home in Borivli East and then to Dapoli in Ratnagiri Dist. I then sold off some property in Bangalore and bought a flat in Mysore. Next I sold off my Dapoli house and bought a house under construction again in Mysore which I will finally occupy some time in November this year. The problem with the bread continues to haunt me. I notice that they are available on e-Bay. There is a brand called Kenwood available for about Rs 8,000/-. Seemed exorbitant to me. Also I recently saw BRIEFLY an ad on NDTV I think about a bread maker called Lloyds. There seems to be no further news about it. I am told the best is a Japanese brand called "Zojirushi" but net hunting says they run on 110 volts. Another of course is "Breadman" Same problem. Pity. It did not occur to me to buy a breadmaker on my last visit to Europe in July 2007. I shall have to ask a friend in Berlin to bring one across when he comes next - unless of course I can get one right here in India. Can you tell me how safe and efficient is e-Bay for such transactions?<br>Sharad<br>

#9 Gautam

Gautam

Guru Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:44 AM

Sharad,

Zojirushi is a Japanese brand that enjoys a very high reputation. Those sold in the USA have 110 Volts, but there may be units in Japan manufactured for export to 220V countries. Why don't you question this gentleman, Hiroyuki-san, http://hiro-shio.blogspot.com/, who is inordinately courteous & helpful when his busy schedule permits.

Kenwood/Sears/GE etc. have a less than sterling brand image, unless you are stuck in the time warp of middle America

With respect to eBay, after bidding the prices up & shipping, etc. there seems to be very little net advantage.

What are you expecting out of your breadmaker, is another question that you may find useful to clearly enunciate in your mind. Write down exactly what are ALL the issues you seek to achieve:

organoleptic goals: what exactly do you expect? The machine may or may not deliver them.

A. texture : sourdoughs etc.

B. flour mixes to your liking: whole wheat, flax seeds, etc.

C. Hot bread at your bidding

D. Cost per loaf

E. Pizza dough, other dough e.g. calzones, naan : consumption of white flour, cheese shoots up.

F. Other uses: making jam, preserves. See E, feed-forward response.

G. Problems of having hot bread near at hand --over consumption, experimentation with bread e.g. peanut butter bread, pain du chocolat, eating bread with chocolate fondue. These are real health hazards because white flour has an exceedingly high glycemic index and glycemic load. Hot bread is soft and irresistible for most people.

H. Quality , longevity, sturdiness of machine; how much counterspace it occupies.

http://www.consumers...-bread-machines

#10 Sharad Bailur

Sharad Bailur
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

I don't think counter space is an issue. What I want is a sturdy machine that makes bread for home use on a virtually daily basis if necessary. And the address at which I can get it. Also if possible the price. Some information on the reliability of the seller and any guarantee/warranty might be useful. Lastly how good is the process of paying by credit card for home delivery?
Sharad

Sharad,

Zojirushi is a Japanese brand that enjoys a very high reputation. Those sold in the USA have 110 Volts, but there may be units in Japan manufactured for export to 220V countries. Why don't you question this gentleman, Hiroyuki-san, http://hiro-shio.blogspot.com/, who is inordinately courteous & helpful when his busy schedule permits.

Kenwood/Sears/GE etc. have a less than sterling brand image, unless you are stuck in the time warp of middle America

With respect to eBay, after bidding the prices up & shipping, etc. there seems to be very little net advantage.

What are you expecting out of your breadmaker, is another question that you may find useful to clearly enunciate in your mind. Write down exactly what are ALL the issues you seek to achieve:

organoleptic goals: what exactly do you expect? The machine may or may not deliver them.

A. texture : sourdoughs etc.

B. flour mixes to your liking: whole wheat, flax seeds, etc.

C. Hot bread at your bidding

D. Cost per loaf

E. Pizza dough, other dough e.g. calzones, naan : consumption of white flour, cheese shoots up.

F. Other uses: making jam, preserves. See E, feed-forward response.

G. Problems of having hot bread near at hand --over consumption, experimentation with bread e.g. peanut butter bread, pain du chocolat, eating bread with chocolate fondue. These are real health hazards because white flour has an exceedingly high glycemic index and glycemic load. Hot bread is soft and irresistible for most people.

H. Quality , longevity, sturdiness of machine; how much counterspace it occupies.

http://www.consumers...-bread-machines

#11 Gautam

Gautam

Guru Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:49 PM

http://www.zojirushi.com.hk/

Model No. Capacity(liters) Packing(pcs/carton) Weight Net(kgs.) Gross(kgs.) Measurement(m3) Power(W) Voltage(V) Color Replacement Liner BB-HAQ10 1 lb. 2 11.6 14.7 0.07 412~450 220~230 WZ -

BTW, SHARAD, a little courtesy never comes amiss when people are trying to help you.Maybe your parents forgot???

Edited by Gautam, 20 June 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#12 Suresh Hinduja

Suresh Hinduja

Suresh Hinduja

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
    golf
    single malt
    author
    consulting chef

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

http://www.zojirushi.com.hk/

Model No. Capacity(liters) Packing(pcs/carton) Weight Net(kgs.) Gross(kgs.) Measurement(m3) Power(W) Voltage(V) Color Replacement Liner BB-HAQ10 1 lb. 2 11.6 14.7 0.07 412~450 220~230 WZ -

BTW, SHARAD, a little courtesy never comes amiss when people are trying to help you.Maybe your parents forgot???

Maybe limited internet access?

My Photos

chicken 2014
471 images
79 comments

#13 Nina Sanyal

Nina Sanyal
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I think getting a bread machine at home is a good idea...Don't know how feasible it is to use it at home...
  • Chetan likes this

#14 digikid

digikid
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Where are bread-making machines available in India? What is the cost? Can they be bought on eBay? Any recommended model and make?

#15 Suresh Hinduja

Suresh Hinduja

Suresh Hinduja

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
    golf
    single malt
    author
    consulting chef

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:39 AM