Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
anil

Restaurants and eatouts in Mumbai / Bombay

Suresh,

how cud you forget the "Drinking Factory" man ? we all had the most amazing time there, ya ?

Saucy

Ah yes, the drinking factory was Golden Crown restaurant near Nana Chowk. So dubbed by me because it was a 3 storey building and the ground floor used to sell spirits by the bottle and upstairs by measure. Taxi drivers would come and eat and that is usually a sign of good food. Like café Olympia at Colaba.

I had discovered a mistake in their menu pricing and for quite some time took advantage of it until one day when I took 12 giant friends who didnt believe me. We feasted on some delicious dal+rice @ Rs. 5 per portion and drew enough attention for the management to take corrective measures. It's difficult to be not noticed when you walk with 12 hulks and order 13 plates of the same dish. Later on I found out that the management was... uh...ahem...well 'connected', so I'm glad I didnt protest too much when they upped the price to 10 bucks. It was one of the few places in Bombay that was open late when every other shut down.

Saucy, have u been there recently? How much is the dal rice now?

• Haha 1

Hi Saucy,

Would love to do this ! Have done it in the past with a couple o friends. till they moved. I have a list of places that I want  to try. Hope there are a few more... Which is the latest place you have tried?

Anil-  ave you tried the Thali at Golden Star, Charni rd. The service is very personal and it feels like you are eating at the their home.. Excellent food. Starve for 3 days to go there!

Suresh,

how cud you forget the "Drinking Factory" man ? we all had the most amazing time there, ya ?

Saucy

Ah yes, the drinking factory was Golden Crown restaurant near Nana Chowk. So dubbed by me because it was a 3 storey building and the ground floor used to sell spirits by the bottle and upstairs by measure. Taxi drivers would come and eat and that is usually a sign of good food. Like café Olympia at Colaba.

I had discovered a mistake in their menu pricing and for quite some time took advantage of it until one day when I took 12 giant friends who didnt believe me. We feasted on some delicious dal+rice @ Rs. 5 per portion and drew enough attention for the management to take corrective measures. It's difficult to be not noticed when you walk with 12 hulks and order 13 plates of the same dish. Later on I found out that the management was... uh...ahem...well 'connected', so I'm glad I didnt protest too much when they upped the price to 10 bucks. It was one of the few places in Bombay that was open late when every other shut down.

Saucy, have u been there recently? How much is the dal rice now?

No, havent been there for ages, I moved to the suburbs remember, and to go there without our gang, I just cant do it, too many memories man :)

Hi GS

Ok so we need at least a dozen people ya, half/half or more women will do :) So people in Bombay, wake up, lets meet n party. GS spread the word amongst your friends, I'll do the same, lets touch base in a week or so ya ?

I live in Andheri and there are so many nice places here to go Indian, Chinese, Italian, Thai, Japanese, Korean or we can do Sizzlers, or Punjabi Dhaba Food or only Seafood etc. Lets get the people together first and then we decide.

Cheers,

Saucy

P.S. We share the same icon, we must be twins ;)

Hey!

Sounds like a plan. I stay in Bandra. and the restaurants are spawning like crazy... only problem is that very few are giving food the importance that it deserves.. It's all about being the "Flavour of the season". Which are your fav resturants? I'll write up my list too.. Right now i'll go back to that Pasta in my plate.

Ciao

GS

I live in Andheri and there are so many nice places here to go Indian, Chinese, Italian, Thai, Japanese, Korean or we can do Sizzlers, or Punjabi Dhaba Food or only Seafood etc.

Really ? (No Scarcasm) but I thought that whole of Mumbai lacked a decent Korean or Italian, let alone Andheri...

Sure it does.. I think it's because the real estate prices are so high that people give priority to an Indian- Chinese restaurant, which has a higher chance of succeeding and has a higher turnover... than a niche cuisine restaurant. Also since Delhi and Chennai has a sprinkling of Jap and Korean companies, there is a ready market in these cities.

So Anil, are you game for a Mumbai restaurant Safari?

Saucy... how many people have we got now?

Sure it does.. I think it's because the real estate prices are so high that people give priority to an Indian- Chinese restaurant, which has a higher chance of succeeding and has a higher turnover... than a niche cuisine restaurant. Also since Delhi and Chennai has a sprinkling of Jap and Korean companies, there is a ready market in these cities.

So Anil, are you game for a Mumbai restaurant Safari?

Saucy... how many people have we got now?

Anil lives in the US and many other parts of the world especially South America. That's why he refers to cities by their airport names and his itinerary often sounds like it's Russian - STL LGW CMN CDG HND. At least once a year he throws in BOM DEL for grazing purposes.

He doesnt carry all his passport books for fear of paying excess baggage.

I'm surprised that he hasnt started an airline when everybody's Uncle is starting one in India. Not Mine.

BLR has great Korean restaurants, one owned by a sweet Korean lady who has a PhD in Sanskrit.

Disclaimer 1: I've never met Anil. :)

Disclaimer 2: I hold long postions in SpiceJet and that has nothing to do with their legroom.

Hi Anil, yes off course there is this nice place called TIAN on the road from Lokhandwala circle to Mithibai college, it serves Japanese, Korean, Thai and Chinese. Suresh, remember ? Then for Italian there is Little Italy at Juhu/Andheri, The Fiorella at the Leela, Al Fresco at Hotel Ramee Juhu, I like the pastas they make at The Myst next to Fame Ad Labs in Andheri.

Hi GS, sorry been travelling on buisness, going again next week, and then going overseas end of the month, I have a few friends who will join in, we need to fix a date like every 10th or 15th of the month, what say ?

Sure..

I have been tied up too.. How about around the 22nd.? or do you want do it when you return?  Mixed reviews on Tham's.. Anyone tried it?