Gourmet India
Sign in to follow this  
Suresh Hinduja

What we drank recently

Suresh Hinduja    768

I wish I had started this topic long ago any way here goes.

Ummm...last week Bond treated me to a 15yo Suntory Royal made in japan. I'm afraid I couldnt have a second one as I couldnt stand the perfumed notes that hung around like a winter haze. Had to switch to the only other bottle of Black Label that was on offer. ???

After the Suntory it was easy to appreciate the good old reliable Black Label.

Frankly the Suntory reminded me of Royal challenge Indian whisky and that is a not a compliment to the Indian brand either.

So what did you all drink?

• Like 1

Suresh Hinduja    768

I had an overdose of Bowmore Mariner 15 years last night. Bond, I missed your company. :) What have you been drinking in Delhi?

Dr. Ink    0

I just picked up a bottle of Bowmore mariner on my BKK - BOM trip, but I dont think it's 15yo.. Might try it tonight.

Guest bond   
Guest bond

Since I have moved, I have had the following:

- Glenfiddich 12 YO (had forgotten what it tastes like)

- Glenlivet

- Johnnie Walker Green (Pure Malt)

- Laphroaig

As you might have guessed, the 1st 3 bottles were not from my collection.

From my collection, have cracked open the following:

- Ardbeg (has replaced Lagavulin as my favourite. 2nd bottle on its way)

- Dalmore (Black Isle) - Recommend strongly post dinner

- Bowmore

On its way is a Macallan Elegancia. Our friend in Koramangla has an Aberlour.

Needless to say, the glasses that you were nice enough to gift me are being used extensively.

Cheers

Floydian    0

Bond - You have been running amok. Was a great way to ring in my 31st... Thanks   :P

Let me know when we want to raid the larder some more... And maybe we should try get a few more who like the tipple to graduate to Single M... A suggested filter: folks who have an opinion on every page in the newspaper... And if they scratch the surface a bit more than A Brick in the Wall , perhaps its time to lead them to the Holy Grail!

But for a start we must have an Uncle Cargill get-do... What say :)

anil    242

Limited Edition: Arran Single Island Malt - Single Cask

I picked it up  in Europe on my way back to NYC from BOM. The distillery is quite new, and they have just started putting out limited edition hand bottled hand numbered. The one I had was bottle 167. Reminds me of Belvenie in body.

Suresh Hinduja    768

From the Arran site:

Each year, our Distillery Manager carefully selects casks which are maturing exceptionally well.  These will then be stored either in sherry, bourbon, madeira or port casks until ready for bottling at either 46% or cask strength - without chill filtering - to capture the intensity and individual character of the spirit within.

I've never had the pleasure of tasting any Arran expression but I believe they have been well received by whisky enthusiasts.

I dont think they specify the age, is there a cask statement?

My question to Arran would be what happens to the casks that are 'not selected'.

Apparently they have a calvados finish which may perhaps spur Bague to take up whisky as an option to wine.   :)

Suresh Hinduja    768

Considering that the distillery is only 10 years old, I suppose it is understandable that they dont make a age statement.I wonder how does one go about starting a new distillery without any aged stock?

And I must add that there are some young whiskies that sell for more than aged expressions.

Guest bond   
Guest bond

Bond - You have been running amok. Was a great way to ring in my 31st... Thanks   :P

Let me know when we want to raid the larder some more... And maybe we should try get a few more who like the tipple to graduate to Single M... A suggested filter: folks who have an opinion on every page in the newspaper... And if they scratch the surface a bit more than A Brick in the Wall , perhaps its time to lead them to the Holy Grail!

But for a start we must have an Uncle Cargill get-do... What say :)

CEO:

Now that Floydian has reminded me, have managed to finish that Cragganmore and cracked open a Talsiker too. The talisker has lost all its spice and is not a patch on the mighty beast that it used to be.

Some of the bars in delhi serve decent malt whisky too. Went to this new place called Q' ba and downed a few Juras.

CEO, missed you since this was the one whisky which your cellar had in abundance. Must say, the newer bottlings are a lot smoother and better rounded.

Slainte

anil    242

I've never had the pleasure of tasting any Arran expression but I believe they have been well received by whisky enthusiasts.

I dont think they specify the age, is there a cask statement?

It was bottled in '04 and was quite spicy with a sherry aftertaste. Cask Strength that we had was 58.1% vol.  My sense is that this Ltd Edn. was 8 year old.