Capsicum is an incredibly versatile vegetable that can be cooked in many ways, and it's a great source of vitamin C!
Ingredients (to serve 4)
4 medium sized organic capsicum pieces + I chopped piece
3 cloves minced organic garlic
2 organic onions chopped
250- 300 g organic tomatoes diced (keep liquid)
a pinch or 2 of cumin seeds (jeera)
1 cup rice
a few organic green chillies chopped (according to your spice level)
500 ml (about 2 cups) organic vegetable broth or water
1 bay leaf (op.)
Organic Coriander leaved to garnish
salt and pepper to taste
Op. cheese to crumble on top
To make the rice
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in the bottom of a large saucepan and add the cumin seeds.
2. Add chopped organic onions and saute until transparent.
3. Add uncooked rice, organic garlic, (op) bay leaf, chopped organic capsicum, and chopped organic chillies and saute until rice is brown.
4. Add diced organic tomatoes with liquid and the broth (or water).
5. Bring rice to a boil and then reduce heat and cover pot. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender- add salt and pepper to taste.
To stuff the capsicum
1. Pre- heat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the tops of the organic capsicum and scoop out the insides. The capsicum need to be softened but still firm, so boil for 3-5 minutes.
3. When the capsicum is softened stand up in a baking dish and fill with stuffing.
4. Pour about 100 ml of water around the capsicum to keep them from burning.
5. Cover the baking dish with foil and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Optional: Uncover the baking sheet, sprinkle cheese on top, and bake uncovered until cheese is bubbling.
7. Garnish with organic coriander and serve.
Variations: Try adding chopped pieces of organic zucchini or organic chappan kaddu to the rice to add more flavor!
I Say Organic offers home delivery of affordable & fresh organic vegetables in south Delhi. We strive to get the prices as close to those of sabjiwallahs as possible. For more information, PM me.
Food tastes the best when it is cooked with the best ingredients.
I Say Organic